We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen & the fjords - itinerary advice?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bergen & the fjords - itinerary advice?

We are two females spending a week in Norway in July. We are looking for

some advice on our itinerary for our time in the

fjords. Currently we will arrive in Bergen by train

from Oslo on a Sunday mid-afternoon and we must head

back to Oslo sometime on Thursday.

We're not looking to cram everything in. From what

we've read, we think we'd like to see the Sognefjord

(day trip from Bergen?) and Hardangerfjord - this

seems like it might be manageable in our time

constraints, but certainly are not wedded to this if you have other suggestions. We thought we might spend one of the

nights in Ulvik or somewhere in Hardangerfjord. We'd

like some advice on how to go about this - the travel

times between places, how to travel between the

places (we will not have a car), where we should stop, and what we should see.

We also have not yet decided how to get back to Oslo (by train or plane), so the itinerary is flexible in that regard.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
943 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergen & the fjords - itinerary advice?

check fjord1.no and fjordtours.no for boat and bus trips. A "nutshell"-daytrip is very popular. Whatever you do, take Flåmsbanen Myrdal Flåm or Flam Myrdal. Myrdal is on the Bergen Oslo rail. When you are in Flåm. spend one day hike lower part of Aurlandsdalen dntoslo.no, bus from Flåm/Aurland to Østerbø, 5-6 hrs hike, may be done without heavy boots, spectacular. Stalheimskleiva is worth a visit, ferry Flåm Gudvangen, bus Gudvangen Voss, rail Voss Bergen/Oslo. Also a stop at Finse, if you leave by morning rain from Bergen, you'll catch afternoon train after visiting the glacier. I'm sure you can leave luggage at Finse station, but ask tourist office i n Bergen to find out.The earlier you book the cheaper both train and plane. Also bus between Oslo and Bergen, but 8-9 hrs including change - I'm not local so cannot give details. I suppose you've looked at visitnorway.com or norway.com