We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train journey north

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
train journey north

We are spending some time touring Norway.

we would like to spend one day on a train journey up the coast to the north from say around the Trondheim area, has anyone experienced a train journey north for a day trip?

Can you give me any tips, best place to start the journey, how far to go etc.

thanks

joana

Bergen Segway
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Other Fun & Games
Fjord Tours
Historic Sites, Scenic Railroads, Sightseeing Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Other Outdoor Activities
Fonnafly Bergen
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Bergen Base Camp Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Other Outdoor Activities
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,955 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train journey north

Hi Joana,

I doubt you can go far for a day trip by train from Trondheim. However, check the timetables etc. on this official site from the Norwegian State Railways:

http://www.nsb.no/internet/en/index.jhtml

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
944 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train journey north

And the train goes inland, not along the coast. Nowhere in Norway, possibly except short stretches, do railwaylines go along the coast/fjords/sea. but alongside lakes,yes.

Conwy.North Wales
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train journey north

thanks for the replies,

I will check out the time table, I thought the trains run along the coast.

We had the idea it would make a nice journey see some of Norway without my husband driving for the day, still thinking of doing this, do you think it is a good idea would we see great scenery ?

joana

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train journey north

You have to go as far as Oslo to gain the line for Trondheim! It must be pointed out that distances in Norway are vast and the population thinly spread.. As an alternative there are busses which run north from Bergen. www.nor-way.no

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,955 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train journey north

I agree with mostlybytrain.

If you like to see scenerey without driving for the day, the best options are either Bergen or Alesund, with alternatives being ferries or buses.

Bergen offers the options of Sognefjord or Hardangerfjord, whereas Alesund offers the opprotunity to see Geiranger and surrounding areas for one day.