We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

temperature in May

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
temperature in May

We cannot predict the weather nor the temperature in May. This is simply because the weather is unpredictable and especially on the west coast.

We can only rely on statistics: yr.no/place/…statistics.html

You may have warm and nice weather in beginning of May followed by rain and wind in mid May. We have experienced many miserable May 17th weather wise (our constitution day). This year was one of them, when appropriate clothing would have been wool underwear for base layer and a wind and waterproof top layer.

So the message is: be prepared for unpredictable weather and bring/buy clothing to stay warm and dry. This also mean dress in layers in order to adjust to the conditions if is warm and sunny.

Happy planning!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: temperature in May

Huh?? On my screen it looks like I started this thread, but I submitted a reply! Ah, I guess it is because I'm on the US website and I posted after the time adjustment in the US and pss88 posted prior,

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: temperature in May

We are a family of 4 planning to tour scandinavia and germany in May 2013. Will there be a substantial temperature difference between the beginning of May and mid May?

We are from India and hence not used to extreme cold.

thanks in advance.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: temperature in May

thanks a lot for your input. because of the time difference and because of your very prompt reply, this aberration!!

I think we will plan on coming to Bergen by 8 -10 May and take a chance with weather.

I wanted to avoid the end of May because of the festival in Bergen. Will it be very crowded and accomodation difficult to find? Will the weather at the end of May be better?

thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,286 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: temperature in May

Along the Norwegian coast, weather is unpredictable and one can not say with certainty that late May is better than early May. On average the temperature rises steadily through May, but that is only the typical situation. In any case, Bergen has a coastal climate where there are no temperature extremes. In May, daytime temperatures are typically 12-15 (occasionally down to 3-5 C during night, and up to 25 C).

In Norwegian terminology "extreme cold" is minus 20 C, +5C is merely chilly or cool.

Bergen will not be crowded, "lively" is a better word, but accomodation may be scarce.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,286 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: temperature in May

Rain is the main issue in Bergen, more unpredictable than the temperature.

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
6. Re: temperature in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 14, 2013