We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Paris, France
14 posts
Save Topic
Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

Do you know a place where i could pitch my tent and sleep peacefully, not far from Bergen ? I want to spend time in Bergen, but i have not enough money to sleep in a hostel. I can take a bus to get out, but where ?

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Hostels in Bergen
Marken Gjestehus
Marken Gjestehus
#1 of 30 Specialty lodging in Bergen
Montana Family & Youth Hostel
Montana Family & Youth Hostel
#3 of 30 Specialty lodging in Bergen
Bergen YMCA Hostel
Bergen YMCA Hostel
#4 of 30 Specialty lodging in Bergen
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,926 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

I was checking the article "Klimaflykning" was added here and I don`t think this is allowed of Bergen City to say that some area are forbidden to camp - IN THE NATURE. Because this are not a park!

In Norwegian: "Men oppholdet på Fløyen er ulovlig. I forskrift om begrensninger i bruk av sykkel, hest og telt mv. i Fløyenområdet heter det nemlig at «telting, camping og leirslagning er forbudt i Fløyenområdet»."

This sounds like the same Rica Hotels are doing on the North Cape plateau; Closing the area and taking paid, for a area who after the Norwegian law are open for everybody.

I am not guide at the west coast anymore, so I am not care, but it sounds very very wrong!!

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,926 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

We have a wonderful nature in this lovely country. Please use it..;)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,933 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

You will find the various alternatives here

www.visitbergen.com/en/WHERE-TO-STAY/Camping/

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,933 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

I am not a legal expert, but as far as I can see the regulations are founded in article 15 in the law below, also referred to in the paper

www.lovdata.no/all/hl-19570628-016.html#15

Oslo
Level Contributor
16,285 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

The mountains in Bergen are indeed wilderness and the general rules apply, but because of the easy access to Fløyen and the large number of people using this relatively small area there are restrictions on use. There were for instance conflicts between cycles and hikers, so cycling is also forbidden on certain roads/paths.

Try the youth hostel?

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,933 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

According to the article this particular issue is related to hygiene and the proximity to drinking water supply. We do not want bimmelim and bommelom in our drinking water, do we ?

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,926 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

Then I have studie this map, and it looks like there are possible to camp about 3 km north of the walking paths. The terrain looks good too, so if you have been in the nature before, so you should find many nice areas, also with view over the city and the fjord..;)

https:/…Kart_Fl_yenomr_det_41663a.pdf

And for one night only, there is many shelters in the "forbidden" areas too. Do a late walk in, make dinner and fall to sleep when all another has left the area, and wake up and leave before all morning runners are there...

We have this wonderful rules "All mans right", but like I have wrote earlier; It`s allow to think! So, all garbage you have to return with you.

Like we says in the scouts; Nobody shall see that you have been there, actually it`s better than it`s cleaner before you arrive..;)

Good luck!

ps: It`s to many rules in Norway, but we are not a Police state!

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,823 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

The expression "All mans right" is named "Freedom to roam" in English.

I do not agree in finding ways to camp by breaking the law.

Edited: 6:47 am, August 22, 2012
Prague, Czech...
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

I was at Floyen and it seems ok to oversleep there, built a tent secretly in the forest just for the night and leave the place in the morning. Ticket up there is for 40NOK and you can left your luggage for 50NOK during the day at the railway station. Oversleep in the forest shouldnt be a crime if you dont bother someone.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Where to sleep near to Bergen (tent) ?

The only problem I can see with what you have done is telling the rest of the world about it via this forum. Unfortunately other people will now think it's OK but may not be as considerate as you have been in leaving nothing behind.