We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway/Sweden Rail Pass vs NiN

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Norway/Sweden Rail Pass vs NiN

I am planning to do the NiN route from Oslo to Bergen in about 3 weeks, but from Bergen, am thinking about taking the bus up to Geiranger instead of taking the boat to Alesund. And from Geiranger, take the bus to Andalsnes then train back to Oslo. and from Oslo, will go to Stockholm for couple days. My question is: since I am not doing the NiN tour, is there a way to check my luggage from Oslo directly to Bergen? Or do I have to take it with me from Myrdal to change train to Flam and then on to the boat, bus, then train again? I just think it might be cheaper to get the railpass rather than getting the individual tickets. Thanks.

Bergen Segway
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Other Fun & Games
Fjord Tours
Scenic Railroads, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Historic Sites, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Fonnafly Helicopter Sightseeing Bergen
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Bergen Base Camp Day Tours
Bike Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Other Outdoor Activities, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Sightseeing Tours
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,627 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norway/Sweden Rail Pass vs NiN

You will have this option for your luggage:

You may be able to get cheaper tickets by using the miniprice offers from the Norwegian Railways (NSB):

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Norway/Sweden Rail Pass vs NiN

Thank you Greek-Traveller. I will look into porterservice thing. I did check on the minipris, but since I will be making couple mini stops along the way, I think the railpass ended up slightly cheaper. On top of that, I am going to Stockholm, and there's no minipris on international route.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norway/Sweden Rail Pass vs NiN

Trains between Oslo and Stockholm are operated by the Swedish State Railways, SJ. They do offer discounted tickets, f. ex. Oslo-Stockholm for 95 SEK, but you need to book 2-3 months in advance.

4. Re: Norway/Sweden Rail Pass vs NiN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 06, 2013
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question