We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roads in the Western Fjords

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Nottinghamshire...
2 posts
Save Topic
Roads in the Western Fjords

We are planning a trip to Norway in July, hiring a car at the airport; 2 nights in Bergen, 3 nights in Flam, 3 nights in Geiranger and 1 night in Balestrand. I can't get a clear idea of what Norwegian roads are like ; how quickly you can get from place to place, how many tunnels there are, what the tolls are like and whether it is easy just to turn up and queue to get a car ferry across the fjords.

Our main routes are:

Bergen to Flam

Flam to Geiranger

Geiranger to Balestrand

Balestrand to Bergen.

I'd be so grateful if anyone

has any answers for me!

Ginnycat

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roads in the Western Fjords

Hello.

Bergen - Flåm : 2 - 2 1/ hours drive - no tollroad. Many tunnels if you drive E16 to Voss. If you go R7 through Hardanger; much more scenic route and less tunnels. R7 to Granvin, then R13 to Voss. Between Gudvangen and Flåm 2 long tunnels; one = 12 km, one =5 km.

Flåm - Geiranger ;ferry to Kaupanger 2 1/2 hours. The road distance depending on which road you choose. But an average of 60km/hour is normal (+ photostops). The only tollroad is the Fjærland tunnel R5- NOK160,-

Geiranger - Balestrand: km depending on choise of route - no tollroad if you do not go through the Fjærland tunnel - can be ferries - depending on route.

You will find some tunnels along the way, but no long ones except for the two mentioned and the Fjærland tunnel. If you do not drive via Lærdal. Aurland -Lærdal has the worlds longest tunnel (25 km)

You can easily turn up and queuing at the quay and wait for most of the the ferries. But,reserve for your car at the latest, the day before you are going from Gudvangen to Kaupanger, and the ferry to Fjærland. Reservation:www.fjord1.no The ferries runs regularly and on time !!

Distances: read my answers to orangcat in the topic :fjord visit questions