We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo -Bergen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
68 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Oslo -Bergen

We are planning a trip to Norway this august and are flying into Oslo. We would like to spend some time in Oslo and then we were thinking of heading to Bergen. But we are trying to decide whether to hire a car or is it easy to do by train. If we were to hire a car how long would it take to drive from Oslo-Bergan? Also after reading some of the other messages it looks like maybe we should base ourselves in Bergen and do all the day trips from here? what do you think? we have 10days in total. All suggestion will be much appriciated.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oslo -Bergen

Going by car from Oslo to Bergen will take you about 7 -7 1/2 hour. By train almost the same. A train ticket you can byu as cheap as NOK199.- ( summer tickets are not available yet. Cheaper going by car ?? Depending on how many people you are and what type of car you will be renting.

The distance Oslo - Bergen is approximately 500km , but remember going R7, you have to add the ferry crossing 15 min.

Base in Bergen ?? Many day trips from Bergen northwards and southwards.

Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
68 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oslo -Bergen

Thanks for that reply, Do you think the round trip tickets are good value or would it be cheaper to organise our tickets when we are there for travelling around. I saw that one round trip ticket for the Royal Fjord Tour cost 1975NOK.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oslo -Bergen

Hello.

I suggest that you buy tickets for your daytrips after you have arrived in Bergen.

I.e The Royal Fjord Tour; you can by a return ticket at a cost of NOK 755,- p.p.for the boat Bergen-Flåm-Bergen, and a one way ticket with Flåmsbana at a cost of NOK 175,. p.p.

It is very easy to by any daytrip tickets while you are staying in Bergen. The trips to the fjords run every day,and the tourist information in Bergen is situated just 300 metres from the quai were the daytrip- boats are leaving Bergen.

Look at:

www.visitbergen.com and

www.fjord1.no (north/east) and

www.hsd.no (south)

www.nsb.no (railway)

Take some time to get familiar with the websites, and you will enjoy you stay in Bergen.

I would also strongly recommend that you take a daytrip along the westcoast north of Bergen - veeery beautiful !

Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
68 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oslo -Bergen

Thanks for your advice.

The Itinery so far is arrive

Oslo 22nd aug,

Oslo 23rd

Leave Oslo head to Bergen 24th

25th- Bergen

25th- Bergen

27th- Bergen

28th-Bergen

29th, 30th ( still havent decided what to do)

31st, 1st Oslo.

does anyone have any suggestions for the 29th/30th? Are we spending to many nights in Bergen?

do you know is it possible to go whale watching from Bergen?

Thanks for all your advice

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oslo -Bergen

Hello again.

Firt of all;you cannot do whale watching from Bergen. Sometimes by coinsident a whale has been seen out in the Northe Sea as far south as Bergen, but normally not. On the island of Fedje 2 hours north of Bergen I know some people are living from whale hunting ( 2 ships), but they are not hunting in the nearby oceans.

Staying in Bergen for some days ?? Depending on what you would like to do except for exploring the city. As I have said before in some answers, you can do different day trips out from Bergen for at leats a week. But may be you should take a stop over somewhere by the Sognefjord or the Hardangerfjord. It can may be be more relaxed than always do a day trip from Bergen.

I can come back to you with more spesific answers if you want.