We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Southern England
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

I am booked on the Hurtigruten in March and am wondering what is the easiest way to get from Bergen Airport to the Hurtigruten terminal by public transport? There is an old topic about this but it has long since been closed down so I wonder if anything has changed in the interim?

Unfortunately, due to a change of flight by the airline, I shall be arriving in Bergen early in the morning. Does anyone know how early I can deposit my baggage with Hurtigruten and what time I can board the ship?

Finally, any ideas for things to do in Bergen to kill time between arriving and boarding the ship and the best ways to keep warm/dry?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

About checking in on Hurtigruten, see this link: hurtigruten.no/Norge/…

Unfortunately mostly in Norwegian, try Google translator. You may deposit your luggage in Hurtigruten's terminal office from 1pm, check-in from 3pm and board from 4pm. In the morning you may deposit your luggage at selected hotels, f. ex. Radisson Blu Royal or Radisson Blu Norge.

The airport express coach (Flybussen) will bring you to downtown Bergen, stops at above mentionned hotels. When going to the Hurtigruten terminal, I think you need to get a taxi.

While in Bergen, there are many things to see and do: http://www.visitbergen.com/en/attractions/

Oslo
Level Contributor
16,064 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

If you jump of the bus at Radisson Hotel Norge (Festplassen) it's less than 1 km. With luggage perhaps best to take taxi.

In March, Bergen is usually cool and relatively dry. Near Radisson Norge you can visit a number of nice art galleries/musuems. Fløibanen Funicular is also recommended (mostly outdoor). General strolling near the funicular is recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Festplassen
Festplassen
5 Reviews
Bergen, Norway
Southern England
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

Thanks for the info. I think once I have checked in the bags I might try either the funicular or the aquarium to kill a few hours before checking in.

My flight does not land quite as early as I thought so by the time I get into the centre of Bergen I think it will be nearly 1pm anyway.

York, United Kingdom
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

I am just booking a trip for my Father for February 2011. I have found out that the airport bus to Bergen leaves every 15-mins and every second one takes passengers to the Hurtigruten terminal. Costs about 90NOK and as long as you check with the driver before boarding this should get you there. I hope it does as my father is 80 years old and travelling alone! Taxi is 250NOK which is not too bad if you think the bus might not be right for you.

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

We are booked on a Hurtigruten sail later this month too. We have been told by our travel agent that there is a Hurtigruten counter landside at the Bergen Airport where we can purchase our bus ticket to the Hurtigruten terminal/pier. The price is 100 NOK each. The staff at the counter will give us further direction to the bus stop which is said to be located just outside the terminal to the right. There is a bus at 1PM, 3PM, 4:30PM and 7PM. It will be signed “Hurtigruten Transfer Shuttle Service". The operator of the bus is Turisbuss.

At other times or cheaper option, there is also a bus to Bergen City costing 75 NOK and a short 5~10 minutes' walk from where you alight to the Hurtigruten terminal/pier. Taxis are apprently quite plentiful at the airport and will cost around 500~600 NOK.

What did your travel agent tell you? More or less the same as mine?

Edited: 11:07 am, February 02, 2011
Southern England
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

I booked independently, not through an agent so I didn't get any information. This is interesting news about the shuttle bus though. My flight lands at about 11am so it would be a bit of a wait for the 1pm bus. On the other hand you cannot deposit baggage at the terminal until 1pm so it might just be worth getting a coffee and hanging around the airport until it is due.

Otherwise it will be a town bus and a walk from the nearest stop (Radisson Hotel?) Fortunately my baggage is on wheels!

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

According to the Hurtigruten web site, check-in opens at 3PM with embarkation at 4PM. I suggest to enquire at the Hurtigruten counter at Bergen Airport on arrival. Have a great trip!

Edited: 9:28 am, February 08, 2011
Southern England
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

Check in starts at 3pm but baggage drop is from 1pm.

Southern England
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

Check in starts at 3pm but baggage drop is from 1pm.

Edited: 9:48 am, February 08, 2011
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bergen Airport to Hurtigruten terminal and more.

Thanks. My flight arrives at around 3:40PM. Allowing 15~25 minutes to collect the luggage, the 4:30PM bus will work fine for me luckily.

We are flying from North America and shall likely be badly jet-lagged!

I shall post upon my return about the transportation arrangements at the Bergen Airport.