We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Nutshell tour and Bergen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
290 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Nutshell tour and Bergen

My wife and I just returned from travel to several countries. We flew into Oslo and did the one day Nutshell tour to Bergen so I'll share some brief comments as I was benifited by several posts on this baord prior to our leaving.

The Nutshell tour is wonderful. The first few hours on the train out of Oslo has no real dramatic scenery but it does get spectatular! The transfers are easy unless you are lugging a lot of luggage in which case I'd sugest a proter service. Myrdal to Flam rail is fantastic and the cruise through the fiord is just spectacular. Try for a bus taking the old road to Voss as it is quite dramatic, new road goes through a tunnel.

Bergen is lovely and quite walkable. As a US visitor you may find it interesting to have whale meat on a menue (I liked it, wife says NO) Reindeer too.....and baby seal skins for sale but US customs may not allow them back, we didn't buy any.

I must add, as has been posted here before it is VERY expensive against the US dollar. 59 NOK ($10 US) average price for a beer at a pub but you may find some for less for take away at small grocery. We paid $8 US for a small order of not very good garlic bread at Pepes Pizza to go with our 2 $10 beers. And fish and chips on paper plate outdoors at the fish market was about $12 US.

We chatted with some local working people and found that wage laws there are complex but favorable for labor..... were told that the most minimal wage for those under 18 (more as you are older) is 114 NOK/hr or about $19 US with mandatory double time on weekends and other increases after 5 PM etc. So prices seem more reasonable on the local economy, it is just that the worm has turned and the old yankee dollar isn't king anymore.

Well, those are the things I would have wanted to know before I left so I share them for what they may be worth.

Ed

virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Nutshell tour and Bergen

Thanks Ed!

I'm happy to hear about your experience with norway in a nutshell.

I'm going next week and will be doing the trip from Bergen to Oslo.

I had originally planned on taking it from Oslo but I could only get one night at a hotel - for $500!

So now I'm going fly to Bergen and return on the nutshell tour.

I'm thinking too about taking a quick flying overnight trip to Trondheim. The plane ticket is about $115 and with a cheaper hotel I might break even and get to see another city. I can then see Oslo on the tail end.

I'm afraid I'm getting carried away....but I'm so excited!

2. Re: Trip Report Nutshell tour and Bergen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 15, 2009