We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit Bergen on 30th april till 3rd may

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Hong Kong
2 posts
Save Topic
visit Bergen on 30th april till 3rd may

Dear Grethe and friends,

I am planning to visit Bergen for 3 days during the above period. I intent to join the Norway-in-a-nutshell package, but prefer to stop overnight in the middle. Can you kindly advice me where should I stay over night? Flam? Voss? so that I can enjoy the whole package without a hurry?

Thanks so much.

CP Wong from Hong Kong

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
401 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit Bergen on 30th april till 3rd may

Where you should stop kind of depends on what you're looking for... :o) Flåm is situated by the fjord and I'd say the nature surrounding Flåm is much prettier and more dramatic - more "typical Norwegian postcard"... :o) But it's also a much smaller village than Voss. (Voss is also just an hour or so by train from Bergen, Flåm is more "in the middle" of the Nutshell roundtrip)

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visit Bergen on 30th april till 3rd may

Hello.

Why not stop both in Voss and Flam ??

Voss is as said, 1 hour by train or 1 hour 20 min. by car from Bergen. At the altitude of 50 metres, but inland scenery. Voss has a very nice stone church from the 12th century. I am quite sure there will be no snow in the center of Voss, so a hike by the lake can be quite nice.The folk museum Molstertunet is very interesting.

Almost midway between Voss and Flam you find Stalheim, and normally the hotel opens May 1st. So your bus can have a stop to admire the view from the hotel garden.

Flam is situated by the Aurland fjord and is rather small, and in early May not so crowded as later on in June/July - hopefully.

Except for the Flam railway and the railway museum, there is not much to do in Flam. Of course you will admire the scenery, the fjord tour and the valley ( you can also hike the valley or parts of it if you want.

If you have to choose either Voss or Flam ?? I will go for Voss, because you will have some time after all in Flam doing the Norway in a Nutshell tour.

Have a nice trip.

Grethe

Hong Kong
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visit Bergen on 30th april till 3rd may

Great advices friends, thanks so much. I think I shall opt for Voss as suggested by Gerthe. I hope I can hike along the lake.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visit Bergen on 30th april till 3rd may

Hi, I am considering a visit to Bergen over this same time period. The main reason is to see the fjörds and do somewhat of the norway in a nutshell tour.

I'm concerned it is too early to go? Would it be better to wait till June? Will everything be brown and frozen or are things starting to turn green and have some spring flowers by then? Are the mini-waterfalls starting to flow by then? Thanks in advance!

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visit Bergen on 30th april till 3rd may

Hello Sweden.

Late April/early May the spring has for sure come to Bergen and the birches has started to become green. It has been a mild winter in Norway - especially on the west coast - but in the mountains there has been a lot of snow !! And there will still be snow in the mountains at the end of April.

Temp can be anything from +10C till + 20C ( if lucky).

Grethe

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visit Bergen on 30th april till 3rd may

Ok thanks for the advice! We are trying to plan a last minute trip over the holiday and this sounds great. I just want to get away from everything that is brown and muddy in Malmö (lots of rain all winter)!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visit Bergen on 30th april till 3rd may

I'm joining the club: my wife and I are also planning a trip for the same period. Probably pretty common for those of us living in Europe, as May 1st is a holiday and a lot of people take off May 2nd.

This brings me to my question...May 1st is a holiday in Norway. Does anyone have any info about what will be open on that day? Will the trains/busses/boats, etc., all still run as normal?

Many thanks,

--J

8. Re: visit Bergen on 30th april till 3rd may

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, September 24, 2009