We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking trip south west Norway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Backpacking trip south west Norway

Hi,

I am planning a backpacking trip with my girlfriend, the last 2 weeks of August. We will fly in/out of Bergen.

We plan to go from cabin to cabin, without taking a tent.

Here is our original thinking of trip:

18/08 Flight London -> Bergen (arrive 10:15am). Visit Bergen

19/08 Boat Bergen -> Rosendal. Bus to Sundal (something to do around Sundal?)

20/08 Hike : Sundal -> Fonnabu cabin 6/8 hours hike

21/08 Fonnabu -> Odda (including glacier hike with guide (3 hours))

22/08 Trolltonga - 6/8 hours hike

23/08 Odda -> Kinsarvik (boat). Kinsarvik -> Stavali hike

24/08 Stavali -> Vivelid

25/08 Vivelid -> Liseth

26/08 Liseth -> Rembesdalseter

27/08 Rembesdalseter -> Finse

28/08 Finse -> Geiterygghytta

29/08 Geiterygghytta -> Østerbø

30/08 Østerbø -> Aurland

31/08 Aurland -> Bergen (boat) + Flight Bergen -> London (depart 20:15)

I think it might be quite dense. It might have been good to have an extra day around Aurland, to do some kayaking in the Fjord for instance. Also it might have been good to keep extra day at the end, in case we want to have a rest during a day in the middle of the trip.

What do you think of the trip? Are there areas we go through we should better skip? For instance at the beginning, in Folgefonna park, I am not sure we should spend that much time, or if the hike from Sundal to Odda in 2 days is the best option. Are there better hikes to do in Folgefonna?

We do not mind taking buses if need be to skip some parts of the trip.

Please let us know if we should have chosen other routes.

Many thanks for the help!

Nick

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacking trip south west Norway

I'd be happy to advise but I'm a bit confused about your description of this as a 'backpacking' trip. There is a lot of strenuous and quite serious mountain hiking involved in very remote places and with a high probability of bad weather at least some of the time. I'm wondering if you are sure you know what is involved and what to expect at the cabins.

The suggested route certainly makes sense though a bit complicated to link together at the start with limited public transport services.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacking trip south west Norway

Hi Norsc,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically, we will try to travel quite light (e.g. no tent), since we will move from cabin to cabin. From what I have seen there are several types of cabin (staffed, self-service, no service), but at least we should have a roof on our head every night. We will get a DTN key at Bergen DNT office.

Which parts of the trip do you reckon will be tough to do? Is it too tough with a rucksack loaded with about 10/15 kgs?

Do you have alternative routes in mind you would advise to do instead?

Many thanks

Nick

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacking trip south west Norway

To do this trip safely you would need to have some experience of walking in Scottish mountains in summer. All of it could be tough to do though in different ways on different days and very much dependent on the weather conditions. From the 23rd to the 29th at least you could easily be 2 to 3 hours walk on rough ground away from the nearest cabin in rain and wind, 10 degrees or colder, no-one else around and no phone signal. The path is well marked but visibility could be 20 metres or less. Would you be able to find your way if you missed the markers? Or survive and get help if one of you was hurt? Sorry if I am mis-reading your posts but I get the impression that you are not fully aware of what could be involved.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpacking trip south west Norway

We have experienced hiking in Pyrenees, Alps and the various National Parks in UK. We actually hiked the Ben Nevis in Scotland, in June, and yes it was snowing towards the end. We are always packed with equipment expecting the worst (rain, snow, mist, temperature dropping below 0 degrees, etc...). We will have maps of those areas, as well as GPS. We do not plan to go on glaciers without a guide

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpacking trip south west Norway

If you are fit enough then you have planned an interesting and appropriate trip. I hope the weather is kind to you.

This bus timetable will be useful for getting from Odda to Kinsarvik and if anything should go wrong with your plans on Hardangervidda.

skyss.no/Global/…Linje_991.pdf

From Geilo you could take the train up to Finse.

6. Re: Backpacking trip south west Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 31, 2014