We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurtigrutin north vs (almost) round trip what will we miss?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Central California
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
Hurtigrutin north vs (almost) round trip what will we miss?

We planned to take Hurtigrutin from Bergen north and back to Trondheim in late May. When I submitted my booking request today I discovered that the fare had gone up $700 in the past couple of weeks. I'm a bit miffed and am now I am considering an alternative but need to decide quickly before they increase fares again.

The original plan began with 3 nights in Bergen, the Hurtigrutin up then back to Trondheim, one night in Trondheim, and train to Oslo for 2 nights.

For a few hundred dollars less, we can do 3 nights Bergen, 6 nights Hurtigrutin, 1 night Kirkennes, fly to Trondheim, 1 night Trondheim, train to Oslo and 3 nights Oslo. I wonder what we will miss? Any reactions?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,972 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurtigrutin north vs (almost) round trip what will we miss?

You will not miss out on anything by doing one way only - the disadvantage is that some interesting parts of your trip will be during the night. The coast of Helgeland and Vesterålen is the best example. This is however beyond the arctic circle, and in late May there will be 24 hour daylight. If you can manage to stay up late and take naps during the day during the less spectacular parts (between Harstad and Tromsø for example). What you actually do will also depend on the weather of course. With midnight sun from a clear sky, it is hard to go to bed - a rainy and foggy day /night and you might opt for the bed anyway.

If you decide on one way I would suggest you start with some days in Oslo, continue to Bergen by train(perhaps do the NiN en route) and stay some days, board Hurtigruten Bergen-Kirkenes. Rather than cramming in Trondheim just for one day, I would have opted for an organized sightseeing from Hurtigruten. Skip the night in Kirkenes (not really an interesting place)

and fly home via Oslo.

Not knowing your flight arrivals/departures to/from the US it is a bit hard to suggest the optimal routing for you.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurtigrutin north vs (almost) round trip what will we miss?

If you can find it at an acceptable price, the round trip is worth it. As replies to your previous posts have said, you see during the day going south most of the places you missed during the night on the way north, But in terms of "flavour", the views and feel of one 100 miles of coast is not very different from the 100 miles either side. In your position, I think I'd take the land arrangements and a shorter Hurtigruten trip, to maximise overall sights and experiences per buck

portsmouth
Level Contributor
69 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurtigrutin north vs (almost) round trip what will we miss?

I have just travelled on Hurtigruten both ways. I would certainly agree with a view that a shorter trip would be more then enough. Also, bear in mind that most stops on the way are very short, 15-30 minutes, or at night, only a few are longer 1-3 hours. The boat often arrives late so the time left to walk around the little towns is even shorter. Having said that, the places are often very similar to each other with not a lot to explore. But, its the overall experience of cruising along the coast is most attractive, though some people may prefer less time in the sea and more time on the land. We found the trips bought on the boat rather expensive but this may be subjective of course.

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurtigrutin north vs (almost) round trip what will we miss?

I would take Hurtigruten no further than Honningsvåg and hop off at least in Svolvær for 2-3 days to see Lofoten.

I would also consider an extra day in Tromsø.

From Honningsvåg, there is a bus to Alta with direct flights to Oslo.

5. Re: Hurtigrutin north vs (almost) round trip what will we miss?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 20, 2013