We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours vs. Driving

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tours vs. Driving

Hello,

My wife and I will be arriving in Oslo on 27 May and will be spending 9-10 days in the western fjord region.

Ideally I would like to rent a car for the entire time, but due to the high cost, I'm not sure if this is a possibility.

Can anyone advise me on whether certain tours are better than driving in certain locations? Are there certain locations that it is beneficial to have your own car?

Also what is the approximate driving time from Bergen to the Vik area, Vik to the Norangsdalen area, and then to Alesund?

Could we take a ferry from Alesund back to Bergen with the car?

Does this sound realistic? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated

Thanks so much!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours vs. Driving

Also, is it easy to find a place to camp in these areas? What about car parking?

Thanks

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours vs. Driving

Hello.

First of all - you are very welcome !

Renting a car or going by public transportation ?? - I am not sure,but if I understand you correct, you will like to stay overnight in campingsites rather than hotels/pensions?? If so, I would say it is better to have your own car.If you rent a car - do in via the internet, that will be cheaper.

I have just answered many of our questions on other topics like "fjord visit question",

"driving itinerary for early May" and "Leikanger-Goteborg".

I am sure you will find answers to many of your questions there.If not - let me know!

Driving time from Bergen to Vik is about 3 hours.

From Vik to the Norangsdalen area depending on which route you choose;the main route I think, would be crossing the Sognefjord,Sogndal,Stryn,,Hornindal,Hellesyltand from Hellesylt it is about 20 km to the famous Union hotel at Øye.

Going back to Bergen from Ålesund by ferry? The best way to do that without having to drive, would be by taking the Hurtigruten all the way. The Hurtigruten leaves Ålesund

at 00.45 and arrives in Bergen the next day at 2.30 p.m. Otherwise you will have to drive and use ferries in between.

You will find very many campingsites along your route. What do you mean by parking your car ??

Some websites that will give you a lot of info:

www.hurtigruten.com

www.fjord1.no (all ferries you will need)

www.nor-way.no (all buses you will need)

Yes, the trip sounds realistic in 9-10 days !

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
943 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours vs. Driving

For a week or more, going around, it is very much advisable to have a car. Afraid there will be lots of waiting if you go by public transport.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours vs. Driving

Thank you for all the information. I will check the other threads you mentioned and will respond if I have any more questions.

Thanks again

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours vs. Driving

Would you say it is worth it to take the Hurtigruten from Alesund to Bergen? Is it scenic? Or is it better to travel on land back to bergen?

Thanks

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours vs. Driving

Hello.

I came back to Bergen last Sunday after a trip with the Hurtigruten from Bergen Friday( departed 2230)-arrived in Ålesund 1200 next day (Saturday)and returned to Bergen the same evening at 0045. Going back to Bergen from Ålesund on the Hurtigruten is one night on board,and the next day you will have a wonderful scenery all the way to Bergen.Coming to Måløy early in the morning and Florø around 0800 a.m. and along the coast scattered with islands and scerries,narrow sounds and crossing the Sognefjord,more islands and scerries before arriving in Bergen at 0230p.m. I would say it is worth the money, and you will also discover a quite different part of Norway. While staying in Ålseund, you can take a tour with the Hurtigruten to Geiranger. Every day from Easter and onwards until September the Hurtigruten does a sidetrip out from Ålesund to Geiranger and back to Ålesund. You can buy just that trip even if you are not a regular passenger onboard.

So, my answer will be ;yes.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours vs. Driving

Hello

I think we have decided to do the one way Norway in a nutshell tour from Oslo to Bergen. We will make that last the full 3 days. Can anyone suggest places to stop and spend time while on that tour? You can get off at any stop and board again when you want correct? As long as you arrive in Bergen on the 3rd day?

Next, should we spend one full day or two full days in Bergen?

After we leave Bergen we want to drive (hire a car in Bergen) to Geirangerfjorden and Jostedalsbreen National Park. What is the best (scenic) route to get there? Approx how long would it take? Can anyone suggest highlights and places to spend the night along the way (mostly camping)?

We will have 5.5 - 6.5 days for the driving portion (depending if we spend one or two days in Bergen) and we must end in Oslo. We will drive to Oslo from Geiranger or Andalsnes probably. Can anyone tell me the time it takes?

Thanks a ton!

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours vs. Driving

Hello.

After having spent some time in Bergen, you first go to Jostedalen National Park. Drive to Voss-Gudvangen- take the ferry to Kaupanger -drive on to Sogndal - then R55 to Gaupne where you continue on R 604 till you find a camping sites. There is one called Gjerde camping and another called Nigaardsbreen camping almost where the road ends.

read more at :www.sognefjord.no

from Kaupanger (arrivning by ferry it is about 40km to Gaupne and another 30km to Gjerde. An average driving speed of 50-60 km/hour.

www.fjord1.no ( ferry)

When you are in that area, try to visit Urnes stave church(on the UNESCO list).

Drive on to Geiranger via Sogndal-Fjærland-Stryn. If the road R63 is open, drive R15 and continue on R63 to Geiranger, if not, go to Hellesylt and take the ferry to Geiranger from there.

You can do the tour to Geiranger in one day.Norangsdalen you reach from Hellesylt (about 25km to Øye where you find a camping site). If you do not have special wishes for Ålesund - do not drive on. I think it is too much to cover both Jostedalen, Geiranger, Norangsdalen and Ålesund in 5-6 days when you have planned to return to Oslo from either Geiranger or Åndalsnes. Even Åndalsnes is to my opinion too far to drive. You are on holiday ???

Drive to Oslo from Geiranger.

Have a nice trip.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours vs. Driving

Hello marsy00.

Concerning the Norway in a Nutshell Tour; you can spend as many days as you want on the tour, and hop on and off as often as you want.

Nice places to stay over night (camping as well as pensions/hotels) are Flåm or Gudvangen. It is only 12km between tht two places by car.Stalheim has a wonderful hotel,but no camping site. But you know in Norway you can camp outside a camping site - ask the proprietor !

Along the route to Bergen you will also find very many camping sites.

How long to stay in Bergen - depending on what you are interested in. Flåm - Bergen you drive in 2 1/2 hours.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours vs. Driving

Grethe thank you so much for the information!