We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We have one extra day: Trondheim or Bergen?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Minneapolis...
3 posts
Save Topic
We have one extra day: Trondheim or Bergen?

We will take the Norway in a Nutshell roundtrip from Oslo by train and ferry in July and have overnight stays in Bergen and Trondheim. We have one extra day. Where would you recommend we spend it, Trondheim or Bergen?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We have one extra day: Trondheim or Bergen?

Between the two, I'd definitely recommend an extra day in Bergen.

Trondheim is a nice town and can boast the most important cathedral in Norway, but Bergen is more picturesque with dramatic surroundings, lots of history and a lot of nice trips to be made into the surroundings.

I would recommend that you spend your extra day in Bergen making a visit to Ole bull's home at Lysøen south of Bergen, or Evard Grieg's home at Troldhaugen. visitbergen.com will give you more detailed information.

Have a nice stay and a nice trip!

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,052 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We have one extra day: Trondheim or Bergen?

Is Trondheim included in your "nutshell" trip?

Well I would recommend Bergen, more interesting and lively.

Minneapolis...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: We have one extra day: Trondheim or Bergen?

Thank you for your reply. We thought Bergen looked more interesting as well, but don't know. We are very excited to visit and everytime I see something new we are even more so

Minneapolis...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: We have one extra day: Trondheim or Bergen?

Yes, Trondheim is included. Train to Trondheim, Hurtigrute to Bergen, rail, boat and rail back to Oslo via Flom. It seems an easy way to see more than just Oslo and get a look at the mountains and fjords.

Thank you for your reply

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,052 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We have one extra day: Trondheim or Bergen?

Most important in Trondheim is to visit the cathedral (our "national" cathedral), and walk around the river bend.

6. Re: We have one extra day: Trondheim or Bergen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 20, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Trondheim