We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo in June - Thon hotel Spectrum

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
glasgow
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Oslo in June - Thon hotel Spectrum

Hi

I'm coming to Oslo in June on Business and wondered if anyone knew what the ThonHotel Spectrum was like?

Also I might have a day at the end of my trip to sightsee a little - any mustsees in one day?!

thanks

Chloe

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oslo in June - Thon hotel Spectrum

Thon Hotel Spectrum is a budget hotel, rebuilt as a hotel from being an office site some years ago. The location is in a side street (partly pedestrian) not far from central places like the Oslo City shopping mall (just next to where it says RING 1), the Oslo Central railway station (across the street from Oslo City) and junctions for trams and the underground.

You can see the location on this map:

kart.gulesider.no/kart/map.c…

I live in Oslo and I have not stayed there myself.

To advice you on what to see in one day it will be helpful if you can tell us what your interests and preferences are. Have a look at this site for Oslo to do some choices:

www.visitoslo.com/index.php…

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oslo in June - Thon hotel Spectrum

It's fine. Not too exciting but well located and comfortable.

To see in Oslo in one day:

Vigeland Park (amazing sculpture and gardens, like a Central Park but better!)

Akershus Castle (great views from the ramparts and it's a quick stroll through the castle itself - try to get behind a tour guide and get the history behind it all.)

Walk up Karl Johan's Gate (restaurants, shops, interesting people - central street in Oslo)

Bryggen (the harbor area - just charming - walk through here after Akershus - take a 60 minute harbor boat cruise from here if you like)

Viking History: 1. The Viking Museum in downtown - near the art gallery (which I also love - small and great art especially Munch exhibit)... the Viking Museum is very interesting with great displays and artifacts. 2. Viking Ship Museum (across the harbor at Bygdoy) takes a bit more time but you get to see an incredible Viking ship found nearly perfectly intact along with other artifacts -very interesting but might take more time than you will have....

Go to the website VisitOslo.com and you will get a synopsis of what you can see and where it's located. You might consider getting an Oslo Card for one day which will cover your entry to many sights and museums or discounted to others and will cover your transport all day on buses, trams and subway. If you are only going to places that are already free like Viglandsparken and the Bryggen, then skip the whole card. Just get a one day transport pass at any Tourist Information or at the stops from the machine. Ask anyone for help if you have trouble purchaseing - Norwegians speak better English than I do! ;-) Pretty much anywher you want to go is best covered by the trams - take these as often as possible. They are clean, quick, efficient and give you the opportunity to see the city while you are travelling around.

If I were planning a day, I'd do it so: Pick up tram to Akershus - walk around and get good view photos - maybe tour the castle interior. Walk down the hlll to the Bryggen - take the one hour boat cruise of the harbor. Pick up some light lunch from the shrimp boats at the harbor or from one of the produce stands sure to be nearby. Get bread and mayo and a beer from a local grocery or stand. Get on tram to Vigelandpark. Find a nice spot and have a picnic, enjoying the stunning views. Walk around the park, taking in all the incredible statuary. Return back to downtown via tram - clean up and change clothes for evening. Walk down Karl Johan's Gate and enjoy the flood of people. Grab a light dinner somewhere out here (there's a nice little outdoor cafe behind the cathedral - food and service are pretty good and you can enjoy people watching.)

If you're a real glutton, visit the Viking Museum downtown or the Art Museum instead of returning to the hotel and then walk Karl Johan after that.

Sounds busy but everything is pretty close and you'll be glad you saw some of the great sights. June is fantastic this time of year and you never know what you mgiht come across at the harbor area - entertainment, dancing, you name it!

God tur! LL

3. Re: Oslo in June - Thon hotel Spectrum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 21, 2009