We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Norway Itinerary

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for Norway Itinerary

My husband and I will be going to Helsinki in June (for a work conference) but when it's over, we'd like to take some time to see Norway too. I had planned to spend about 5 days in Norway. I know I want to see the Viking ship museum, some scenic highlights (maybe the Oslo-Bergen train or Norway In A Nutshell tour?), and the Midnight Sun/Arctic circle area. Can anyone suggest which attractions/cities/etc should not be missed. Is 5 days long enough to do all the things I want to do? Any suggestions on itinerary would be greatly appreciated!!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Norway Itinerary

Hi Laurie

The coastline of Norway is longer than equator so it takes some time getting around the country. But 5 days should do the trick. You can actually start your Norway in a Nutshell trip from Oslo by train. Do not take a roundtrip for less than 3 days. You'll only feel like being trapped in a japanese travelparty taking photos and that's it.

But you'll get to see some of our lovely fjords (they are truly breathtaking) and you must see them from boat to really understand the scenery.

So Oslo, then Bergen and the fjords should cover you well. Don't miss the Hansabryggen in Bergen, a remarkable dock and woodhouses from the Hansa ages (you'll find out what that means when you're there). In Bergen you can also take a cabletrain up a steep hill (Floybanen) to get a really good look of the city. Beware that Bergen is our rainy city so might not be much to see because of clouds...

Oslo has a famous sculpture park called Vigelandsparken, made by an artist named Vigeland. Very different. He also had a brother who were truly different who did a mausoleum for himself that is truly unique. Search for Emanuel Vigeland to find out more about the less famous but very interesting brother. The bulidng is only open on Sundays. The park 7 days a week.

Remember that Norway is expensive and main streets usually offer less interesting food. I have made a restaurantguide on this page that give tips on the places you get really value for money.

Good luck!

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Norway Itinerary

Hello.

No, five days is not enough time to visit both Oslo - Bergen and go north of the artic circle.

The train ride Oslo - Bergen ( including the Norway in a nutshell tour) is one day - arriving Bergen in the evening. May be you would like to do a stop over and do the trip in more than one day ??

If you want to do some sight seeing in Oslo and Bergen - you need at least one day in each city.

If you are interested in beautiful scenery, you should may be go to Geiranger after seeing Oslo and Bergen.

The website:fjord-tours.com can give you many good ideas .

It is not Hansabryggen - but for some years Tyskebryggen in Bergen ! Now only Bryggen on the world heritage list.

Grethe

3. Re: Suggestions for Norway Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 20, 2009