We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo = Bergen ...only 4 days in Norway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Oslo = Bergen ...only 4 days in Norway

I only have 4 days to spend in Norway. I wanted to do the Norway in a Nutshell tour.... and it sounds like it's best to go from Bergen to Oslo on the tour. Do I take a night train to Bergen? and is it safe? I don't want to "waste" day time travelling for 7 hours to get to Bergen.

If I decide not to go to Bergen, will I be greatly missing out? My dates in Norway are January 18 (arrive at 11 am) and January 22 (depart 7:40 am). So not much time and want to see what I can.

Any suggestions? I need to book hotels too.... thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated!!!!

cheers,

Traci

SKAM Safari
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Movie & TV Tours
AlternativOslo
City Tours, Bike Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Oslo City Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours, Night Tours
Authentic Scandinavia
Scenic Railroads, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Norway
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Oslo = Bergen ...only 4 days in Norway

I love Bergen, so in my opinion, yeah, you'll miss out.

Train is very safe here, and view will be amazing on tthe trip over so at least some should be enjoyed in daylight ;)

Then again, you can fly over. Flight takes less than an hour and tickets are really cheap.

Check with www.norwegian.com for flights, or www.finn.no (click the plane link)

(scratching head to remember if there is an english version)

We have special miniprice traintickets for 199NOk btw/ whatever distance. But they have to be ordered in advance. ( www.nsb.no)

But, then again, what you don't know, you won't miss eh?

Alternatively a trainride for lillehammer might be an idea, and the Maihaugen museum there (old buildings.. ) Trainride there is just over 2 hours.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oslo = Bergen ...only 4 days in Norway

Hello and happy new year !

If I understand you correctly - you fly into Oslo ??

If you want, you can take the afternoon expresstrain Olso - Bergen the same afternoon as arriving Oslo.Leaves Oslo 4.07. p.m.

Or better- spend the first day in Oslo ( the 18th), then take the morning expresstrain from Oslo to Bergen arriving Bergen in the afternoon when it still is daylight (19th) at 2.57 p.m.

Spend the afternoon/evening in Bergen doing things like the funicular and the old wharf.

If you want to see the fjords - spend also the 20th in Bergen.

Do the Norway in a Nutshell tour the 21st (or the 20th) back to Oslo,

and stay over night at an airport hotel.

Have a nice trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oslo = Bergen ...only 4 days in Norway

Thank you for your posts.

I thought with the Norway in a Nutshell, I'd get to see the fjords? I would be doing the NIAN on the 20th.

Itinerary:

18th .. arrive Oslo / Stay in Oslo

19th, take train to Bergen

20th... take NIAN from Bergen to Oslo

21st .. Oslo touring

22nd... fly out early am.

Or instead of taking the train to Bergen, should I fly .. it seems cheap enough and then I'd have more time in Bergen? Would I be missing any sceneary on the train?

Cheers!

traci

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oslo = Bergen ...only 4 days in Norway

Hello.

Yes, I would have gone by plain to Bergen instead of by train. Doing the Norway in a Nutshell tour from Bergen, you go partly the same route by train as you will go Oslo - Bergen. The nutshelltour will take you by train from Bergen to Myrdal or vice versa, and that is 2 hours of the stretch Oslo - Bergen (about 7 hours).You will miss the trip over the mountain plateau and the highest situated train station in Norway - Finse 1222 metres above sea level, but the first 3 hours Oslo - Geilo is to my opinion not very interesting.

Anyway - It is your choice!

Tromso
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oslo = Bergen ...only 4 days in Norway

Just want to say that if you skip Bergen, you skip Norway. Bergen has much more character and identity than Oslo. (Sorry, Oslo!)

6. Re: Oslo = Bergen ...only 4 days in Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, August 24, 2009