We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo in October

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Essex
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Oslo in October

Hello

I've just booked long weekend in Oslo on the 6th October. I had a look on the internet and it seems like there's not much to do in October there. I wanted to see Oslofjords but sightseeing tours are only till September and all the one day trips are only in summer.

Can you tell me what's the weather like in October and what I could do during my stay? Any ideas for one day trips?

AlternativOslo
City Tours, Bike Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
SKAM Safari
Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours, Movie & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Oslo City Bike Tours
Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Eco Tours, Bike Tours
Authentic Scandinavia
Scenic Railroads, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
norway
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oslo in October

I am from Oslo. I think its a pity that you did not decided to visit Oslo during the summer! The city and surroundings are beautiful then. And the winter is also very beautiful with all the snow. October can be grey and chilly, but the cold is much worse in december - february. October could also be quite warm.

But you have to make the best out of it. You should feel the atmosphere in part of the city called "Grünerløkka" if you are young (at heart) and like small cafes and bars and shops. You should go to a rock consert at "Rockefeller" in the citycenter and to "Aker Brygge" in the city at the harbour even if October is grey you will find boats and cafees and people. "Munch Museum" with the metro to Tøyen is a must. Also go to Bygdøy to see the folk museum , the Viking museum and the first boat ever to the North pole and Kon Tiki close by.It is really something to see. You should take the Metro with a nice view to Frognerseteren, have a cake at the restaurant there and go for a walk down to Holmenkollen close by. You dont have to walk up again as you will find a stop also at Holmenkollen.

I cuold give more tips to you if I knew your age and interests.

London, UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oslo in October

Hello Ania, whereabouts are you flying from and are you going to Gardermoen or Torp?

There is in fact a boat which goes to a few of the small islands in the Oslo Fjord and this runs all year round. You can either get off on one of the islands or simply stay on the boat all the way back. If it's a nice day it's a refreshing little trip. There are two routes, numbers 92 and 93. They go to different islands, I would recommend the 93. Interestingly this even stops at one the uninhabited islands, Hovedøya. If peace and quiet is your thing then get off here and have a little walk around, there is a little bench by the beach where you can sit and enjoy a packed lunch. One tip though: There is normally no announcement of the stops, so ask the conductor to tell you when they reach the island you want.

Also, the fare is a bargain compared to the touristy summer rides, as is in fact classified as public transport. To get to the quay from where the boats leave catch bus number 60 from Jernbanetorget (stop is opposite the central station).

There are other things to do - but I must admit find it a bit hard to recommend unless I know what you like doing on a wekeend trip?

Essex
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oslo in October

Thank you for all replies. I'm going in October because I've got two spare days off work and the whole trip was quite cheap so I decided why not and later realised that October might not be the best time to enjoy Oslo but after reading your comments I think I'll have good time.

I'm 29 and would like to go out in the evening. Is it as expensive as everyone says to have a few drinks in the evening?

One more question - what transport would you recommend for 4 people from the airport to the city centre (the airport closer to Oslo - BA flight). Would it be cheaper to share a cab than getting a train?

Oslo
Level Contributor
102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oslo in October

Weather in October is usually rainy, but so far September has been warmer than usual and yesterday we had 20 C and sunny. Personally I like the autumn. If you are fond of walking, take a walk in our parks, especially Frognerparken with the Vigeland statues. From there, go Kirkeveien to Majorstua. Bogstadveien and Hegdehaugsveien has some great shopping(though expensive)towards the Royal Castle. Visit Aker Brygge on a sunny day, Akershus festning and Karl Johans gate. Grünerløkka is a popular area for young and trendy people.

Oslo is a city surrounded by beautiful nature and if you want to see some beautiful forests and lakes, take a walk in Nordmarka. The subway to Sognsvann(15-17 minutes) and from there you have many treks. Remember to bring your walking shoes.

Buy a one day travel card(NOK 60) and you can use all buses, subways and trams for 24 hours(remember to stamp the card before you enter the subway station, bus or tram). Visit the Vikingship museum and Holmenkollen.

Go shopping, have a drink or two in our cafes. After the non-smoking law, many of the cafes have outdoor serving all day and night, many with heaters so you don't freeze. Drinks are expensive but there are big differences. Check the prices here: http://www.ungioslo.com/oelbarometer.htm

Brugata close to the Central station has some nice and cheap pubs. If you like asian food, Bernt Ankers gate has some thai/vietnamese resataurants, probably the cheapest food in town and the food is great too.

Some taxi companies have fixed prices from Gardermoen, about 400 NOK but the price vary. Ask the taxis in line and take the cheapest one. Train will be about 75-80 pr person each way if you take NSB and not Flytoget which is much more expensive. "Regionstog" is once an hour and takes 26 minutes, a local train about 39 minutes. You can buy tickets at the airport station.

If you want to see a Norwegian small town, Drøbak is an option - but it's more lively in the summer. About 160 NOK for a return by bus 541. One hour each way. visitnorway.com/templates/NTRarticle.aspx… Tusenfryd, our biggest amusement park, is on the way there as well, if you like that kind of fun. www.tusenfryd.no

London, UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oslo in October

Hello there Ania,

Compared to UK standards going out is fairly expensive, yes. Wine at restaurants is expensive because of the taxes slapped on any kind of alcohol and also there is a huge mark-up. However a glass or two probably won't set you back too much. Just don't expect a pub lunch meal with a pint for a fiver like you get in the UK :)

Over the past few years an area called Grønland has become rather trendy and there are a few bars and restaurants there which are definitely worth going to. There is one called "Dattera til Hagen"

which to someone English probably sounds rather excotic :) and has a great bar downstairs and a cafe upstairs. They've usually got live DJs on the weekend and their cocktails are great.

I noticed another poster suggested some quite dodgy areas of Oslo - yes the pints are cheap but quite frankly so is the clientele in some of those establishments.

If you want to go from the airport to the centre of Oslo and you're 4 people then I would say they aiport express train offers very bad value for money. I agree with your thinking that sharing a cab is far better. However the taxis now work almost like UK minicabs - there are at least 6 different companies and they all charge either a fixed fare or a metered fare. The cheapest companies are Taxi 2 (NOK 395) and Norgestaxi (495).Weekends and nights add another NOK 100 to your fare. Whatever you do don't just go out to the taxi ranks outside! When you've passed customs and you're in the arrivals hall turn right and walk along. A few metres down there is a Taxi counter where you can book.

I've just checked the fares on the airport and a single from Gardermoen is NOK 160. Multiply by 4 and you're at NOK 640. Also, by taking a taxi you go straight to your hotel and won't have to take another cab from the train station in the centre of Oslo.

Essex
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oslo in October

Thank you soooo much for help.

Polar b - what's the dodgy area you wrote about in the last post?

Have you got any recommendation for a restaurant in the evening - Norwegian food possibly?

NYC
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Oslo in October

Ania,

I am heading to Norway October 6th and have been looking for some fun 1-3 day trips. This was recommended to me by someone who has traveled extensively in Norway: http://www.norwaynutshell.com

It's a combination train-bus-boat trip for amazing sight-seeing, and runs year-round.

-Karla

Oslo
Level Contributor
102 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oslo in October

Ania

The "dodgy" area is probably the one I mentioned - Brugata. I work just across the street and walk through every day, both daytime and in the evenings, and never had an incident. But go there in daytime and find out for yourself. Lots of office clerks like to have a beer or two after work, so between 1600-2000 it gets lively.

You'll find a few pubs along Karl Johans gate, the main pedestrian street. If you go from the central station, avoid the streets to the left at the lower end - lots of junkies and prostitutes. From Kirkegaten and above, it's more ordinary pubs like Scotsman and Tre Brødre. Further down, Rosenkrantz gate has plenty of bars both to right and left, and some nightclubs. You may also go to Nationaltheatret and turn left, some bars(and cinemas)there as well, and you may head for Aker Brygge, also a lot of bars and a lively karaoke bar named "Sinatra" if you are into that kind of bars. If you walk from Central Station, this trip will take about 25-30 minutes of walking to Aker Brygge.

For a restaurant, try this:

www.ekebergrestauranten.com/section.cfm…

Click on "menyer", then "a la carte" and you'll see the menu with prices in English. It has a lot of good reviews, and a great view over the city. 100-120 NOK by taxi or take tram 18(Holtet) or 19(Ljabru) to Sjømannsskolen, about 7-8 minutes from central station. They serve both international and Norwegian food.

If you want to try some Norwegian liquor, try an aqvavite with your beer when you're out. You'll love it or hate it.

Regards,

PanserHansen

Essex
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oslo in October

I came back yesterday from Oslo. It was great - I had really good time. Very expensive city but everything else was wonderful. I had great weather - it was sunny and bright.

Thank you all.

East Anglia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Oslo in October

Just want to say thanks for this everyone. I'm off to Oslo on Friday and was after a few tips and they're all here written for me already!

Now all I have to do is pack!!

What's the weather like at the moment by the way?