We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I exchange my money before travelling to Scandinavia?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Should I exchange my money before travelling to Scandinavia?

Hi,

A friend and I are going on an interrail trip in August, mostly visiting Oslo, Gothenburg, Stockholm and Copenhagen. I've read you're probably just as well to take euros and exchange there, or to just take a debit card and withdraw money at the ATMs in the train stations. Is this true or am I better off ordering currency before I leave?

Thanks

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,272 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I exchange my money before travelling to Scandinavia?

You will need three different currencies and there is not a big need for cash as you can pay with card almost everywhere. Changing into Euros would be useless as you will have to change them again into NOK, SEK and DKK at considerable fees. ATM withdrawal recommended when needed.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,330 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I exchange my money before travelling to Scandinavia?

Just check the fees charged by your card issuer - for Visa/MasterCard this is usually around 2% on purchases, for cash withdrawal there is often an extra fee plus a fixed amount so don't take out many small amounts. For cash exchange the true cost is often around 5 - 8%, check differences between buying and selling rates. Wherever you can (which is practically everywhere) pay by card - even the smallest amounts like a cup of coffee is quite acceptable and usual to pay by card.

3. Re: Should I exchange my money before travelling to Scandinavia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, March 12, 2015