We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional food & drink near Bygdoy or Sentrum for lunch

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
121 posts
413 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional food & drink near Bygdoy or Sentrum for lunch

I am on a cruise so I only have a day to sample traditional food & get a cider. Can anyone recommend a restaurant near Bygoy or Sentrum? We will be there on a Tuesday, if that matters.

Thanks!

Edited: 6:43 am, October 07, 2013
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional food & drink near Bygdoy or Sentrum for lunch

The choice or restaurants at Bygdøy is limited, and none of them are renown for good food. If you take the ferry from Bygdøy to Rådhusplassen you will find two excellent sea-food restaurants at nearby Aker Brygge and Tjuvholmen. Both of these are more modern than traditional, but serve excellent fish and sea-food:

www.lofoten-fiskerestaurant.no/no/Lofoten/ tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g190479-d7…

http://www.sjomagasinet.no/no/Sjomagasinet/ tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g190479-d1…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
121 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional food & drink near Bygdoy or Sentrum for lunch

Thanks iverh, they both look excellent and where I will be walking around after visiting Bygdoy!

Are ciders common in the restaurants?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional food & drink near Bygdoy or Sentrum for lunch

You can often get ciders in restaurants with alcohol, normally the sweet version that does not particularly go with food in my opinion. Good pubs will have Strongbow and Irish cider Bulmers/Mangers.

Nice restaurants will have exclusive Norwegian apple juice (no alcohol) which is good with a meal. I don't think there are any restaurants that offers Norwegian cider as I don't think it is commercially available, but others may be able to confirm this.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional food & drink near Bygdoy or Sentrum for lunch

Actually two brands of Norwegian cider are available from the Wine Monopoly now, but, as Pippi points out, they are not common on restaurant's drink menus. Well-assorted pubs may have it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
121 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional food & drink near Bygdoy or Sentrum for lunch

Thank you for your comments and suggestions! Cannot wait to visit Norway (even for a day!)

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traditional food & drink near Bygdoy or Sentrum for lunch

This cider producer may be able to tell you where you can buy their products in Oslo.

www.hardangersider.no/index.jsp?pid=5972

7. Re: Traditional food & drink near Bygdoy or Sentrum for lunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 10, 2014