We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very expensive?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Very expensive?

I hope to come to Norway and see Olso for a trip in about March next year. I come from Australia. Is it true that Norway is way more expensive than Australia? I hope to stay in backpackers if I come along and I am nearly 36 years of age. For example, how much would you pay for breakfast/lunch/dinner in Norway? And can you get accomodation for only $25US a night in backpackers, or is this not the case in Norway? Are buses and trains cheap? I imagine taxis will be very expensive. Somebody told me a bottle of water in Norway is $10US. But I also heard the tap water is among the purest in the world and very delcicious. I would love to hear some comments on this.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,735 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very expensive?

You can get some ideas here

visitnorway.com/en/…

visitnorway.com/en/…

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/

And yes, you can safely drink the tap water.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very expensive?

Thanks for that info. Some great advice in there.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very expensive?

A bed in a shared 4-bed room at Haraldsheim, Oslo's HI hostel, costs 255 NOK/42 USD per night: www.haraldsheim.no/rom-og-priser/…

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very expensive?

Of earlier reviews says that Norway are 4x more expensive than Europe...

But, please check out coach surfing and book in advance; flights, for example if you like to include a trip to the Arctic for see the Northern lights while you visit Norway...

And go east instead of west for eat and drink cheaper in Oslo...

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very expensive?

Taxis and eating out is expensive.

Water we drink from the tap (better quality than bottled water).

Local transport is not that expensive, read up on different types of tickets for best offer.

The best things (outdoor and fresh air) are free. Some sights are free, Vigeland park for instance.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,511 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very expensive?

Concerning buying your own food, it is worth browsing around. Some chain supermarkets with budget offers are Rema 1000, Bunnpris, and Kiwi. Some of them have websites where you can get an idea of the price level. The Coop supermarkets have their "xtra"-series of daily goods usually at prices a bit below average, almost approaching those of the rest of Northern Europe. Going camping with a bike on the Western coast, I managed to do with NOK 150 a day or so, regarding food, on a very spartan level.

Even fast food kebabs often start at NOK 75 and burgers at NOK 125. So if relying on just 2 relatively small budget meals a day and a bit more, I´d say count at least NOK 350 or more for food. Some savings can be found when browsing around, though. Hot drinks like ordinary coffee at cafes go down to NOK 20-35 in some cases.

Edited: 4:27 am, September 07, 2013
Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very expensive?

Making food yourself is cheapest. The lowest prices are in the grocery chain Rema. Here, you can buy 900 grams of sausages for 29 kroners (5,20 AUD). Or 750 grams of frozen fish fingers for 6,10 AUD. Or a frozen pizza.

Cheapest accommodation (beside a tent) are camping huts. These are found on most camping grounds, and typically cost 400-500 NOK per night for a hut with four beds. They often also have some cooking facilities. Linen is not included, and you have to clean yourself before you leave.

As joen writes, fast food restaurants like McDonalds might be surprisingly expensive, although they also normally have a very cheap option - a small burger for 12-20 NOK. There are Indian restaurants in Oslo that serve full main courses cheaper than a bigmac with everything.

Is anything cheap in Norway? Well, bananas, sugar. During low season, hotels are relatively cheap.

Neither is public transport particularly expensive. Domestic plane tickets might be had for small money and check out the Minipris tickets at the national railway NSB. At some high traffic stretches, commercial bus companies compete, with very low prices as a result (buses are safe and comfortable in Norway).

If you trek, the tourist association has cheap accommodation in its 450 mountain lodges. We also have the "all men's right" that permits you to pitch a tent everywhere for up to two nights (included on privately owned land). Traditionally, this is meant not to encompass car travelers, but people moving around in the wilderness.

Edited: 10:31 am, September 07, 2013
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,795 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very expensive?

Information about right to access can be found here:

visitnorway.com/en/…

Edited: 4:27 pm, September 07, 2013
Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
17 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very expensive?

Yes, it's expensive. On the Hurtigruten car ferry in June, a beer was $17! Restaurants are expensive; drinking in restaurants is expensive even for Norwegians because their alcohol tax is so high, they said. We were driving through the fjord country in a rental car, which actually wasn't that expensive for four of us. We bought picnic stuff for lunch every day and also bought boxes of wine to keep in our hotel rooms for pre-dinner drinks. The price of even fast food was startling, however. A souvlaki pita sandwich and fries plus a soda at a fast-food-type place in a very ordinary (not touristy) town was almost $30. Norway is not the place to come if you're on a very small budget! Plenty of other countries for that. One thing we discovered at the end of our trip was that ethnic restaurants offered a better deal than ones that had more typical Norwegian food. At a Vietnamese restaurant in Trondheim, my husband and I shared an appetizer and an entree plus each had a beer and it was much less than any of our other meals. The problem is that of course when you're in Norway, you'd like to eat Norwegian food!

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
122 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very expensive?

We've just come back from a Baltic cruise and visited Oslo for the day. We were told it was the most expensive city in Europe. We didn't buy anything and brought our lunch with us from the ship. Start saving!!

ps Out of all the countries we visited, Germany was the least expensive for food, clothing etc.

Edited: 6:47 am, September 08, 2013