We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

I have a flight from Bergen to Stockholm. My carry-on luggage weights 11 kg exactly and the airline limit is 10kg. Do you think I will run into issues carrying it on board or do I have to resort to checking it? Not sure if the airline is really strict on this or not. Thanks

140 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,295 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

I do not think there will be any issues unless your carry-on is oversized and if you are able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers without assistance.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

Shouldn't be a problem, but if there is you could always transfer something to your pockets to get below the limit.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
3. Re: How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

I wondered about this the first time I used Norwegian and asked if they needed to check size/weight of bag. The check in person looked at me and said, "We're not Ryanair." Lots of people had rather large bags; quite possible they were over "limit" but airline seemed very relaxed (as long as more or less right size.)

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
1 review
4. Re: How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

They are not so relaxed if the flight is full, so it would be unwise to rely on this. Oversize hand luggage, especially if it is a rigid case, will always be more of a problem than being a little overweight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
241 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

Fantastic. Thank you for all the kind advice. My luggage is a standard 22 inch carry on, so barely squeaks by in terms of size. I think I will be okay.

1 post
6. Re: How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

Your hand luggage is allowed to be 55x40x23. I have a suitcase thats 57x33x23. I was just wondering if you think that, that could be a issue once at the airport?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,791 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

Have never seen anybody checked by Norwegian, but who knows in the future? It's only likely that they check size by fitting in the size-check frame, since that only checks width and thickness (and not height) I don't forsee any problem.

chesterfeild
Level Contributor
432 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

im flying with norweigian this friday and my hand baggage weighs 12 5 kilo and i know measurements state 55cm mine measures 67cm is this ok

#we are not taking hold baggage as its too expensive

husbands hand baggage is just camera equipment and it weight 8 k so i have all the clothes

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,791 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

See #7. As long as it fits in the overhead compartments and you can lift it up there I wouldn't expect a problem - but who knows?. Your case is considerably oversize and weight so worst case is you having to pay for it to be taken as hold baggage, You can't combine hand baggage allowances - why not be prepared and borrow/buy two cases of the allowed size as this is going to be a recurring worry so perhaps worth the investment? Cost of checking in baggage between Oslo and London is about GBP10 if booked in advance (is that really so expensive? It's not much more than the cost of a beer in Norway!) - GBP30 at the airport.

Brit in Costa...
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
10. Re: How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?

You can also both take a handbag or laptop bag as well, so easy to spread the load. Better to take 2 allowable sized cases than try taking 1 oversized and risk having it taken off you and charged.

Reply to: How strict is Norwegian Air on carry-on limit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted