We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

Hi -- just wondering if anyone has rented a car from this company and how the experience was. Any problems with car or rental process? Thank you!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

I've rented from this company several times, never had any problem. You should be aware, however, that their rates do not include free mileage, at least that used to be the case. I've found renting from them ideal for limited distances, but too expensive for longer distances like 500km or more.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

I used them many years ago without problem. However checking their prices now I see that their day price with free mileage is no cheaper than the main actors provided that you have some sort of discount code (through airline miles bonus, automobile association etc.) They charge an extra NOK 85 per day to reduce the excess on the insurance from NOK 10 000 to NOK 1000. When comparing rates with other companies make sure you check the insurance excess and compare like with like. Note also that you will have a deposit of from NOK 2500 - NOK 5000 temporarily charged to your credit card. Judging from their selection of vehicles it appears their main market is in vans for self-movers where shorter distances makes their cheap rates plus km charge competitive.

Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

Thank you! I didn't know about the insurance excess issue. I think we may have to use Rent-a-Wreck regardless because so far it's the only place we've found that rents older cars & doesn't spray fragrances/perfumes. (My partner has chemical senstivity.) I guess we should brace ourselves for the cost!

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

You should be able to arrange an annual policy in your home country to cover car rental excess anywhere in the world at much lower cost than the rental company's offer.

Can't say I have ever noticed perfume or other smells in rental cars in Norway from the big operators, except maybe some lingering 'new car' smell as they are usually less than a year old.

Auburn, California
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

I have rented from them yearly for over ten years. the cars are fairly new now. pickup is weird after hours in that you pick up a key at the airport and go find the car in the parking garage. similarly, you lock the key into the car at the garage. the cars are in good working condition. I also rent from SADD cars in Iceland, which are old and truly sad. Rent a Wreck is much better. I recommend them highly, Carol in California

why is it so expensive in Norway? because people are paid living wages for working, i.e. McDonalds will pay around $29 an hour, and a worker can get an apartment with that. it is a fair system, the standard of living is uniformly good.

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

I'm also considering Rent-a-Wreck in Oslo. Is it troublesome for pickup and return if I need to pickup my vehicle at 2:30 pm and return it at 9:00 am, both on a weekday? They are both done within the airport terminal?

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,548 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

Just note that there is an extra charge for airport rentals and limited free km. Tourists are likely to need many more km - are you sure this is the best solution?

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

There's an option for unlimited kilometres in the rental webbooking form, which does increase the cost I have to pay, and there location is already chosen as Gardermoen Airport, Oslo. I hope the total cost indeed reflects what I am expected to pay and not be surprised by further charges due to airport and unlimited km.

Or am I missing something here?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

Rent-a-wreck's location called Oslo Airport Gardermoen is actually 26km from the airport. Their web site says nothing about airport pick-up and return. You would need an expensive taxi to get there. Rent-a-wreck's policies and contracts are different from all the other international chains, you must read all the small print very carefully. I would not really recommend this company to anybody who are not quite sure of what they are doing.

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any experience with Rent-A-Wreck in Oslo?

Rent-a-wreck indeed does things differently from the other chains. My sedan car went offtrack and got its undercarriage jammed at the edge of the road. Called their so-called Emergency Hotline for hours but nobody answered the phone. It seemed that roadside assistance is not covered within their policies.

A few very helpful passing drivers helped me contact the nearby Viking guy to get it back onto the road.