We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to Norway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Frankfurt, Germany
1 post
Save Topic
moving to Norway

Hi!

Me and my family (husband and one year old son) are planning to move to Norway. I have a job offer for 23000 NOK per month (after tax); the company will pay me apartment rental as well as some additions for food (approximatly 5000-6000 NOK per month), also I will have car at my disposal. Is that ok for normal living in Oslo? I have to mention that for start my husband will be stay at home dad, there will be no income from him, but there will be no cost for daycare for our son...

I appreciate your answers.

P

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,809 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to Norway

Housing is the main expense living in Oslo, even a 1 bedroom apartment is around 10.000 NOK. So if you have a free apartment and some 5000 in addition to salary, that would help. Beyond a small fee medical expenses (except dentist) are covered by the taxes you pay if you live and work in Norway. Public transport is not expensive.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to Norway

This link may be useful for you:

www.nhh.no/en/about-nhh/living-in-norway.aspx

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,744 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to Norway

So you have a salary of NOK 23 000 after tax

plus an apartment with two bedrooms worth say NOK 12 000 after tax

a food budget NOK 5 000 after tax

and a car worth say NOK 4 000 after tax

Total salary NOK 43 000 after tax, that is equivalent to maybe NOK 60 000 gross or NOK 720 000 per annum

That is a good salary for an experienced engineer or professional and you should be living fairly comfortably.

Norwegian couples in your situation would be in the establishing phase of life, both working but probably earning much less than that each and buying a house or apartment would be paying more for accommodation plus the childcare.

Oslo
Level Contributor
172 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to Norway

Is the NOK 23 000 agreed as a net wage or is it an estimate?

If your employer covers the housing, the car and gives you a living allowance, these are all considered taxable benefits in Norway. At your income level you can probably add around 30 % tax to these. It could be that these benefits are tax protected, neverthless, you should check this.

Also bear in mind that Norway has wealth tax. After 183 days in Norway you will most likely be considered a tax resident and taxable to Norway on world wide assets.

You will be enitled to certain benefits for your child, cash benefit of NOK 3000 (approx) per month up to the age of 3 and child benefit 1200 per month perhaps up to the age of 18.

Basic health care is almost free, but you will probably get an extensive health insurance through your job.

So if the benefits are tax protected, you will live very comfortably in Norway, much better than most Norwegians.

5. Re: moving to Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, September 30, 2013
6. Re: moving to Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 02, 2014