We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Oslo/Tromso in late March- recommendations?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Juan, PR
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Oslo/Tromso in late March- recommendations?

Hi, I will travel to Norway to see the aurora from March 23 to the 31st. I will arrive to Oslo and need your help to determine what is best to do after without spending a fortune. Its me and my teenage daughter.

I would like to spend a couple of night in Oslo at our arrival and travel on Monday the 25 to tromso and stay there 3-4 nights. What do you recommend?

Then since its only the two of us I am thinking that its best to go in an organized tour. What would you recommend?

We are from the Caribbean, could you please also advise on what clothes to wear? Your advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,238 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Oslo/Tromso in late March- recommendations?

I suggest you start with booking accomodation and flights. Secondlly, take a look at the trip report library for more tips regarding Tromsø and clothing. Pages and pages on the subject has been written already. The search function on the forum is also very useful. March is still winter, you will need warm clothing. Below zero temperatures to be expected in the north

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Oslo/Tromso in late March- recommendations?

To be specific about clothing, you could find Oslo quite springlike, but you have to be prepared for a winter's day as well. In the latter case, locals will typically wear 1-2 layers on legs, 2-3 layers on the upper body (with a solid jacket),, and maybe hats and mittens.

There is a web site where you can check what's going on in Oslo, but it is only in Norwegian. I did a search and noted nothing special that weekend. Maybe this could be of interest (it was listed): www.osloguide.no/html/winter_walks_2013.html

Visitors to Oslo seem to enjoy the Vigeland Park a lot. Personally, I frequently take friends from abroad to the Ekeberg Restaurant, which is nice and has a great view: http://www.ekebergrestauranten.com/en/

3. Re: Trip to Oslo/Tromso in late March- recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 11, 2014