We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 nights in July - Beginning with Oslo

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Armagh, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
8 nights in July - Beginning with Oslo

Hi there,

Hoping for some local / experienced advice before booking an 8 night trip which will take in Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. We are travelling as 4 (husband and 2 kids - ages 12 & 10).

So far the itinerary is as follows:

1: Fly from Dublin to Oslo (with Ryanair) - spending 3 nights;

2: Train (morning departure) to Stockholm - 2 nights;

3: Train to Copenhagen - 3 nights; and

4: Fly back to Dublin (Aer Lingus).

Does this sound too heavy? Will we expect to lose a lot of holiday time travelling - if so, will the train journeys be scenic enough to justify this?

Of the 3 cities, which offers the most? For example, would it be best to spend an extra day in Stockholm and one less in either Oslo or Copenhagen?

In terms of preferences, we like to be on the move and would hope to fit in as much sightseeing and local attractions as we can.

Appreciate any advice! Thanks.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 nights in July - Beginning with Oslo

Yes,you will obviously loose days travelling and Oslo-Stockholm train will not justify anything scenerywise, I do not know much about train Stockholm-Copenhagen but fear it might be rather uninteresting too.

My suggestion would be to fly to Stockholm, fly Stockholm-Oslo and take the overnight ferry Oslo-Copenhagen.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 nights in July - Beginning with Oslo

Train Oslo-Stockholm takes around 6hrs., flying might save you 2-3hrs., but maybe not worth the price difference.

From Stockholm to Copenhagen I would consider the overnight train, then you would have 2 days in Oslo, 2,5 days in Stockholm and 2 days in Copenhagen.

Book train tickets on-line at www.sj.se 3 months before travelling for the best prices.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 nights in July - Beginning with Oslo

Stockholm is the prettiest city, Copenhagen perhaps the most lively. While Oslo is also a nice and interesting city, most first time visitors come to Norway for outdoor sights and attractions.

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 nights in July - Beginning with Oslo

All three capitals have their unique charm, although I suspect Stockholm and Copenhagen are easier to adapt too, as things here function pretty much as in other countries. Oslo has its peculiarities, for instance a taxi could cost as much as the plane to Dublin. When you've found out, you'll take the tram.

Coming from a viking city, you'll probably be interested in the intact viking ships in Oslo. I also recommend the Mumch painting and if you are lucky with the weather, you can go to the harbour islands and swim and have a beer.

5. Re: 8 nights in July - Beginning with Oslo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 30, 2014