We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway in July

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Norway in July

We are planning a trip with 5 adults to Norway for July 2013 and hope I can get some advice. For starters:

1. We will have a car available to us, and are thinking it would be more cost effective for 5 people to drive part-way from Oslo to Bergen and join up with the NIN tour closer to Bergen. Which town would be best to drive to and leave the car to pick up on the return.

We were thinking one overnight in Bergen or one of the towns on the NIN tour.

2. Also wondering about the best way to get to see the midnight sun, considering we have a car for the 5 of us. Should we take the Huit from Bergen to Bodo, and train it back to the car? How many days should we allow?

Cheers

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,836 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norway in July

For driving between Oslo and Bergen, please look up this link

http://jiffymade.no/

If you are thinking about a one way car rental - that would not be cost effective. A large car/van for 5 adults and luggage will also be rather expensive. If you have a car as a part of a home exchange - that is a different matter of course.

Hurtigruten takes normal cars up to a certain size - July however is peak season and cabins may be sold out for your dates. It is also a rather expensive way of travelling. If you do Hurtigruten, I suggest you disembark at the Lofoten Islands (Svolvær,Stamsund) instead of Bodø. Going all that way just to experience 24 hour daylight does not make sense - it should be part of a travel experience to a very beautiful part of Norway.

There are no towns on the NIN-route, just villages. Bergen is the second largest city in Norway, has a lot to offer tourists and is well worth a visit. I think you should allocate more than one meagre day.

The Norway rail network is not very extensive - leaving a car along the way to pick up later does not make much sense either. It will involve a substantial amount of backtracking.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,773 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norway in July

You can of course drive to Flåm and join the sightseeing boat there, then return to car (or one in the party brings the car to Gudvangen dock). The NiN is best for travellers with limited time and no car. You can also do the railway Flåm to Myrdal and down again, but I think the boat ride on the iconic fjord is the highlight.

The fjord

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto31299.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto31297.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto36687.jpg

janovebrenden.no/gallery3/…

Flåm railway

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto50495.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto17653.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto24538.jpg

vossnow.net/Database/…5Cfoto12584.jpg

It is not easy to include the midnight sun in your plan, expensive and time consuming. Consider skipping or fly to one of the northern airports (Bodø, Evenes, Alta or Tromsø).

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norway in July

Here are some options for you:

www.visitoslo.com/en/search/…

Edited: 8:01 am, January 21, 2013
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norway in July

If you fly into Oslo, want to see NiN, Bergen and the Midnight Sun, then you could do this;

Day 1: Take a day in Oslo, explore the Vigelands Park, Viking museum, kontiki Museum, Munch museum and walk on the roof of the Opera house.

Day 2: Take the train to Myrdal, and join the railway down to Flåm, and take a fjord cruise to Bergen. This is NiN.

Day 3: Take a day in Bergen, and explore the Fishing market, Fløibanen and Bryggen.

Day 4: Take a flight to Tromsø, I think you can fly via Trondheim or Bodø with http://flysas.no or http://norwegian.com

Day 5: Explore Tromsø!

Day 6-7: Take http://hurtigruten.com via the Lofoten islands to Bodø.

Day 8: Fly out via Oslo from Bodø.

Or, if you return to Tromsø or take the Hurtigruten the another way, I think you can fly with Norwegian, directly to Gatwick, London, if you live / work there...

Information about Tromsø, http://www.visittromso.no

Edited: 9:19 am, January 21, 2013
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,836 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Norway in July

GG - Widerøe has daily direct flights Bergen-Tromsø :))

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norway in July

Or, rent a car in Tromsø for driving via Kvaløya (the Whale island), a ferry to the Magic island Senja, and then a another ferry over to Vesterålen, where you can join Whale Safari in Andenes, http://www.whalesafari.com and then drive down to Lofoten...

Can be done in 2 days, but you should spend a week on this tour... Why? - you will understand when you are there..;)

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,773 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Norway in July

Agree with GG, I would not go to north Norway and stay for 1-2 days only to see the midnight sun. Take time to enjoy this magnificent part of Europe.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Norway in July

What a wonderful network. I posted last night and woke up (in Australia) to have several replies. Thank you all. I realise Norway is a big country and hard (and expensive) to see all the highlights in a short timeframe. It is the same when people ask our advise when visiting Australia.

As Klimaflyktnin suggested, yes we have a car with a home exchange package, so we will not have the expense of hiring a car. The driving link looks very good with interesting suggestions along the way.

I will be in Oslo for about 3 weeks total, the first week doing some ancestry research, taking me to Modum in Buskerud, and Brevik and Porsgrund in Telemark too. I was just going to drive to/from on day trips Oslo for this.

Then, some relatives from the USA are coming to join me for about 10 days and suggested doing the NIN. But I thought since we have the car, it would be more cost effective to drive and we then would have our own timetable.

First, I was planning on using the 3 day Oslo pass and mainly the public transport that goes with that.

So that leaves us 7 more days to explore other highlights using the car and the home exchange in Oslo as much as possible to limit hotels, trains and flights.

Sounds like we would need at least 2 overnights in the Flam/Bergen areas to drive to the area, do the fjord tour and see Bergen area and drive back to Oslo.

Then we would need to choose between flying in/out of the North spending 3-4 days including a Hurtigruten trip via the Lofoten islands;

or other day trips from Oslo?

stillwater
Level Contributor
155 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Norway in July

Looks like we have some similarities in our July trips to Norway! We are five sisters, tracing our ancestral roots in Gol in Buskerud and Tinn in Telemark.

We are considering driving as far as Voss for an overnight, then taking the NIN as a one-day excursion. I understand there is long-term overnight parking in Voss right next to the train station. We will leave our car there and take the train into Bergen for a two night stay. Then we'll take the train back to Voss to pick up our car and head back east, taking 4 days to explore on our way back to Oslo.

Any feedback on this from our Norway experts?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,836 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Norway in July

@LaLaTraveller

It seems your main aim after visiting Oslo would be to see the fjords. Driving from Bergen to Oslo will take a full day each way as a transport leg - more if you plan to explore. Perhaps consider the quickest route Oslo-Sognefjord area - that can be done in 5-6 hours like so

http://goo.gl/maps/DNmys

then use your car to the maximum, a detour to Undredal for sampling the goats cheese and a visit to the little stave church, a detour to Stegastein viewpoint, Stalheim etc. If you start early from Oslo and leave late for Bergen you can cram in a lot - maybe even a boat trip on the fjord.

Parking in Bergen is max NOK 130 per day or NOK 750 for weekly card for the most reasonable options - not too bad considering there are 5 of you. To save time I then suggest you take a direct flight Bergen-Tromsø - rent a car and explore - return to Bergen for the car - drive back to Oslo.

Depending on the day there are also direct flights Bergen to Harstad/Narvik Evenes airport with Norwegian Air Shuttle.

www.norwegian.no

www.wideroe.no

@26after

Why not just drive the car down to Gudvangen yourself. If you depart inbetween the NiN-buses you will have the Stalheimskleiva hairpin road, the specatcular views and the waterfalls all to yourself. Parking in Flåm or Aurland is free while you do the boat trip or the railway. My only concern would be the railway unless you are free to do this trip in the afternoon. Depends on the day and how many cruise passengers in Flåm.

https:/…AurlandFlamAndUndredalMidsummer2012