We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather conditions in Oslo/Bergen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Perth
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
weather conditions in Oslo/Bergen

Hi there - can someone in Norway give me some advice please? I leave hot, sunny Australia later this week - heading to Oslo and then Bergen. I am just packing my backpack.... do I keep my snowboots out and wear them on the long flight - to prepare for conditions over there? Or is this overkilll and just my normal hiking boots be enough for when I arrive? I have never been to Norway and don't know what to expect - a metre of snow? / icy streets ? / sludgey, slippery conditions??? Gee - this packing for overseas different conditions is soooo hard! Help??? (see you soon!!)

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather conditions in Oslo/Bergen

You won't need snowboots in Oslo or Bergen in November, snow at this time is rare. We had a little bit of snow in Oslo last night, but it's all melted during the day. Raingear is more important than snowboots!

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,052 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather conditions in Oslo/Bergen

Sturdy hiking boots will do all winter in Oslo (if they allow warm socks). Slush is often worse than snow as you get wet. Today we had 5 cm slush in the streets, no problem for my Rockports

edwardsofmanchester.co.uk/media/catalog/prod…

I do not and did not have any specific snowboots (and I grew up in the most snowy part of Norway!).

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather conditions in Oslo/Bergen

The activity decides the clothing: Walking around in town, you'll be fine with a cap and a raincoat. Waterproof shoes/boots are more important than warm boots.

If you plan to stay put outdoors for hours, you need really warm clothes.

Hiking and cross country skiing are the hardest activities to dress for. Here, you'll want light, breathing clothes that are normally quite expensive.

4. Re: weather conditions in Oslo/Bergen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 18, 2013