We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Kuala Lumpur
11 posts
Save Topic
change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

It seems like most money exchange companies in KL do not deal with Norwegian Krone. One option that I have is to change money in Oslo when I arrive there. Is there any recommended place where I can change into NOK at a good rate ? at the airport or train station, city centre etc?

Is Euro acceptable by shops/traders in Norway ? For normal purchase of food, groceries, souvenirs etc by a tourist.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
942 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

Just you your ATM card and withdraw NOK there. It's about the same price, and far less hassle. Your ATM card will work there and to be sure, call your bank ahead of time and let them know you'll be in NO. Euro is not widely accepted, and when it is you are taking a bad exchange rate for it.

Alternatively, there are plenty of Forex locations in Oslo that will be happy to exchange your money for your. Credit cards work there as well.

Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
722 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

It is not neccessary to bring a lot of cash, as ATMs are available even in smaller towns. At almost every shop you can pay with debet/credit cards. However, how expensive this will be for you, of course depends on what kind of fees you bank charges for ATM withdrawal/ card payment, so check out how that compares with having to pay fee for changing money

Euros is not accepted here. You might find some tourist shops accepting it, but then at horrible rates, so better to be avoided.

There is a bank at Arrivals at Oslo ariport Gardermoen http://www.osl.no/en/osl/services/_bank

However I doubt they change Malaysian money there

At the Oslo Central station as well as few other places in Oslo you willf ind FOREX which have small/no fees for money exchange, You will find the rates at their website http://www.forex.no/

Kuala Lumpur
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

Thanks for your information. I will check out on the ATM withdrawal and may bring USD for exchange to NOK. Anyway, appreciate your reply very much.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
2 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

Forex in Norway do accept Malaysian Ringgit (RM), you need a photo ID to get the currency, such as a passport will do. Forex is not available in Oslo Gardemoen airport (OSL) but you can find a few Forex around the city centre such as in the Oslo Central Train Station, Oslo bus terminal and at Stortinget near Karl Johans Gate (the main street of Oslo).

Withdrawing from ATM will most probably incur a bank service charge so it is not advisable to withdraw money in Oslo with a foreign ATM card.

Since RM is rare in Norway so the rate for exchanging is not good and not worth changing. Euro is not accepted in the shops but you can exchange it in Forex (rates are ok).

Most shops and restaurant accepts credit card without any restrictions such as minimum purchase (unlike in Malaysia). So you can use your credit card in Oslo even spending a small amount and the exchange rate from credit card is usually better. Be aware that some shops will be surprised that the Malaysian credit card does not have a pin code even though it is a pin and chip credit card. Just let the person knows that your card does not have a pin and you can just sign for the purchase.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

Any kind of exchange carry a fee (global).

For using the ATMs with your credit or debit card inform you bank before you go that you intend to use your card in Europe to avoid them having any kind of blocking the card for suspected fraud overseas.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

What about on the way out of the country? Where can I exchange NOKs for Euros or USDs?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

The same places as you can exchange foreign currency to NOK. Several options listed above.

Homer, Alaska
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

Oslo airport has plenty of change places. We changed our NOK for Euros and my mother changed her NOK back to USA dollars no problem at the airport change places

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,272 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

NOK can be changed into Euros or USD at Gardermoen airport exchange office if you are leaving by plane.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,330 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: change to Norwegian Krone in Oslo

Rather than changing small amounts of kroner to another currency and losing out again on exchange rates I would suggest that you use up all your kroner by e.g. paying your hotel bill part in cash and part with card. You won't need cash to get to airport or at airport - all take cards - you will have learned that by then!