We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy to get to fjords from Oslo?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Easy to get to fjords from Oslo?

My husband and I are visiting Oslo for 2 days and nights in mid-May and would love to see the beautiful fjords. I'm afraid that the most famous ones in Bergen are too far away for such a short amount of time, so does anyone know what might be a closer option for us?

Thanks so much!

Amy

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy to get to fjords from Oslo?

It is easy to get to the fjords, but not fast. To Øvre Årdal, in the bottom of the Sognefjord, Google says it is a four hours drive. The bus is almost as fast.

But to get back to Oslo the same day, will make for a long day of driving. A roudntrip Oslo - Øvre Årdal - Aurlandsvangen - Hol - Oslo is more than 11 hours of driving, according to Google Maps.

http://g.co/maps/6cepz

You won't have time to stop and enjoy the scenery. It will be little different from seeing it on tv. I don't think I would have done that.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy to get to fjords from Oslo?

Check out the roundtrip from Oslo doing the Norway in a Nutshell. I think this is your best option if you would like to experience one of the iconic fjords. More info here: www.fjordtours.com

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,775 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy to get to fjords from Oslo?

You need a full day to the western fjords. Oslo also sits at a major fjord, although not as impressive as those in the west.

…blogspot.com/_d_cPbh3fUsc/…oscarsborg.bmp

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Oslofj…

Near Oslo there are several pretty fjord-like lakes (in fact called "fjord" by locals....):

…flickr.com/5141/5675798768_bc8c5aaa64_o.jpg

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Dokkad…

…blogspot.com/-whsKwjrn4rk/…IMG_0201.JPG

4. Re: Easy to get to fjords from Oslo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, June 19, 2013