We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwegian Air

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
345 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Norwegian Air

I have a question for some of the locals who may be able to help me and at thesame time to warn future travellers

I made a reservation from Oslo to Berlin at a low fare Euro 60.40, due to some changes in my workplace, i need to cut short my holiday, hence I am thinking just to proceed straight to Copenhagen. I understand that I have to pay Euro 31 per person per leg for any changes which is fine by me and any difference in the fare. Now I would like to change from Oslo to Copenhagen which has a price of Euro 51.20 (so I am going for a lower price category), but the system is charging me Euro 102.40 (51.20 x 2) for the changes. I called the hotline and a lady answer my query, after making some investigating, she said she has to ask her superior about this while I hold on the line (a long distance line) for maybe like 3-4 minutes, and when she's back, she insists that it is correct, that that is the difference and penalty charges..??? and when I am trying to make my point, she just flatly told me that even if I talk to other person on the hotline, the answer will still be the same..!!!??? I was still trying to make her see the discrepancies when she just cut my line..... What the Hell!! (sorry) C'mon, is this how Norwegian Air operates, I kind of feel I am being scam here, when I purchase the ticket, I've read the Terms and Conditions clearly, the website indicate that even low cost fare can be changed against a fee and the difference in fare, when in reality it is not the case, one has to pay for the new reservation, so what is the point of changing your reservation when you have to pay again!!!

This is really annoying and the truth is, i am angry and upset..

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norwegian Air

This is how low-cost airlines operate. Consider yourself lucky that you were able to speak to a person on the phone, most people give up before getting through.

Changing bookings is too much work for the airlines, they set the fees so that you might as well book a new ticket. Bookings with low-cost air-lines, and also in many cases cheap tickets with the network airlines, must be considered final, do not expect any flexibility to change or cancel your booking. I regret this situation, but it is just the way the airline industry works nowadays.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
345 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norwegian Air

perhaps I am naive but I would have thought that a carrier like Norwegian Air should at least honour their own terms and conditions... i know changing flights is too much work for airlines and that is why travellers have to pay for the trouble for rebooking. In all the years that I have traveled with numerous airlines, this is the only ONE that I encounter this kind of scam, they could have just list out that it is a "Non-reroutable, Nonrfundable and Non-endorsesable" Anyway, fool me once, shame on you, I would never ever use Norwegian Air again.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,665 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norwegian Air

I do not think Norwegian Air Shuttle do deliberate scams or do not honour their terms and conditions. If that was the case, it would have been in every possible newspaper very quickly. It must have been some misunderstanding or the prices may have changed as you tried to rebook. Prices can change from one minute to another. I have experienced exactly this while booking, much to my annoyance. My trick then was to wait 5 minutes and then book the tickets one by one. This way I did get one out of two tickets at the lower price.

I think you should send them a written complaint if you think you are in the wrong.

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norwegian Air

The Norwegian Air Shuttle Web site states:

"You may change the name, destination and date/time of travel. Changes are made per person per leg of your journey. See prices here. Any price difference between the original ticket price and the new ticket must also be paid. Refunds are not provided even if you change your flight to a lower price category.

It is not possible to change booked international flights to domestic flights or vice-versa. Purchases cannot be made between VAT and Non-VAT zones. Changes made by telephone or at the airport incur an additional fee of NOK 80/SEK 95/EUR 10 per person per leg, in addition to the change fee. Full Flex tickets can be changed without additional fees. "

norwegian.com/en/…

Your explanation is not fully clear to me. You write: "Now I would like to change from Oslo to Copenhagen.. " I guess you mean that you would like to change from Oslo-Berlin to Oslo-Copenhagen.

It the latter is cheaper than the one you have already bought, you are not refunded the difference, but should have to pay 31 euros.

If the new ticket is expensiver, you must pay the difference plus 31 euros.

The system, thus, is not symmetric. No refund is given under any circumstances. If the company wins, you loose. If you loose, the company wins.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Norwegian Air

Post your complaints in the Air Travel forum,too.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
345 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norwegian Air

Hi, Brainspin, yes, what I mean is i wish to change from Oslo - Berlin to Oslo - Copenhagen. I fully understand that I have to pay Euro 31 fee per person per lef of any changes. and I accept that there won't be any refund when i change to a lower price category, and that if i opt for a higher price than my original purchase, I will have to pay the difference which I think is fair. and I acknowledge that there won't be any refund.... I got all of it...

the thing is when I try to change my flight, the system prompt me to pay for the full new price like I am making a new reservation so instead of "confirm and pay for the difference", the icon is "Confirm and pay'...

"If the company wins, you loose. If you loose, the company wins.", well I beg to disagree, it could be a win-win situation if both parties keep to their word as agreed. As a consumer, I accept and willing to pay the difference and the penalty fee, the fee is set by the provider and in my case, Norwegian Air, NA should be bound by its own Terms and Conditions. Nobody needs to be a loser here. And the after consumer service that I got, i would simply call it Rude.

yes, i will definitely put in on Air Travel Forum too

London, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Norwegian Air

Hi - I'm sorry to hear that, I've had some serious problems with them as well. I recently travelled from London to Oslo on Norwegian Airlines and they lost my bag on arrival even though it was a direct flight. No compensation provided that day or even 24hrs later and staff at the airport said its a low cost airline so I shouldn't expect much. They told me to continue my stay in Oslo at my own expense till my bags show up. I decided to fly back to London the following day for which they charged me full fare. Its been over a month and they have not located my bag. Even though I have sent numerous emails/letters claiming compensation they have not replied. Absolutely shocking customer service and their attitude suggests they don't really care what we travellers think about them.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
88 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Norwegian Air

Post your complaint in the category "Other forums - Air Travel".Someone may give you some advice what more could be done in your case.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
345 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Norwegian Air

Hi, Zansk, am really sorry to hear about your incident, oh, i can fully understand the monotone the customer service people talk, i received the same treatment, they won't listen to your problem or complaint, they just use the ":it is just how it is, you either take it or you leave it" kind of attitude.

I hope insurance will compensate for your lost luggage, however, i do understand not eveything inside the luggage can be bought again even you have the money.

10. Re: Norwegian Air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, July 26, 2012