We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A singleton week in Norway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool
2 posts
Save Topic
A singleton week in Norway

I'll be a first time visitor to Norway this February travelling on my own, on a budget, but looking for somwhere decent and enjoyable for a single traveller to stay. I'll be arriving at Oslo (Torp), and realise it is a journey to Oslo itself. I'd also like to travel to Bergen and back by train, just wondering if anyone has some ideas or recommendations about good places to stay and/or how to get the best out of the trip. Thanks.

Halden. Norway
Level Contributor
60 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A singleton week in Norway

In Bergen Hotel Dreggen, http://www.hotel-dreggen.no, is known to be a fairly good budget hotel with a great location. For comprehensive info. on Bergen, see www.bergen-guide.com.

In Oslo budget hotels are rather scarce, but Coch´s pension http://www.cochspensjonat.no/index.html is popular and relatively low-priced, so is the more central City Hotel http://www.cityhotel.no/.

For info. on trains to/from Bergen, see www.nsb.no. The train-trip is wonderful, but be sure to catch the morning train then. An option is by plane, which is probably cheaper: www.norwegian.no

Oslo, Norway
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A singleton week in Norway

The bus trip from Torp to Oslo takes you about 1 and a half hour. The Torp airport is small and the busses are lined up to take you to the capital (prize around 13£). Beware that it is expensive to travel in Norway. Oslo-Bergen on way 26£. If you plan to go order your ticket now, or you might have to pay full p¨rize which is around 60£ one way.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A singleton week in Norway

If you stay on budget and is young and fit, stay in Skansen pensjonat in Bergen. It is wonderful, right in the center.

The train from Oslo to Bergen is wonderful.

Jannike

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
943 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A singleton week in Norway

Lowest price Oslo Bergen by rail is 199 NOK. A great experience travelling thru snowcovered valleys and mountains. Also possible with 10hr busride check www.nor-way.no (English pages)

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A singleton week in Norway

If you want to get the most out of your stay, the best thing you can ever do is to take the train-boat-and bus trip "norway in a nutshell". You by it by norwegian rail, nsb. It is absolutely magnificent, going down by rail 1000 meters, from the mountains down to the fjord in an hour and a half.

First the train to the mountains, so "Flomsbanen" down to the fjord, then the boat on the Sognefjord, then bus up "Stalheimskleivene which is absolutely stunning. All is done in one day, but it is possible to continue to Bergen which is also worth it.