We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the fjords

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
3 posts
Save Topic
the fjords

hi myself and my boyfriend are travelling to oslo on the 14th of this month(jan) . i was looking to visit the fjords but the tours i have checked out only operate during peak season and there is not a lot of info on how to get to the fjords and back. we are only there for the weekend but i really dont want to miss out on one of them . can anyone suggest wat to do? i would be grateful.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the fjords

Hi, and welcome to the forum !

This option is an all year around activity:

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/default.asp

However, how long are you staying for ? A weekend can mean several durations. Do you also count in your time for travelling to and from Oslo (which airport do you fly to), as well as time needed for checking in and out for hotels and airports etc. ?

From your hometown I anticipate you will go by Ryanair - most likely to Torp (130 kms south of Oslo) or Rygge (some 70 kms south of Oslo).

How long time does it works out to be that you can use for a journey to the fjords ?

Oslo
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: the fjords

Hi!

The Norway in a Nutshell Round Trip is operating all year! The only thing is that it takes at least 24h, and you also have to consider that it gets dark around 4 pm.

To do the trip in 24h you have to take the night train from Bergen and back to Oslo, this does NOT operate on SATURDAYS. Anyway, you leave from Oslo at 8.11 am and will be back in Oslo next morning at 6:26 am. (NOK 2135,-)

An alternative is of course the Oslofjord. You can take the boat from the harbour (Aker Brygge) to Nesodden (about NOK 48,-) shouldn't take more than about 1h or the Minicruise which is a private sightseeing boat which takes about 1h & 30min (NOK 170,-) - this also leaves from Aker Brygge.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the fjords

The Oslo fjord is not a fjord in the sense where you will see the fantastic sceneries of mountains, glaciers etc.-which I think you have got in mind -, and is best for sightseeing during the summer months.

Thus, the Norway in a Nutshell is your best (and maybe only) option. Take the time factor into consideration to find what is possible.

dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: the fjords

thank u for the information. we are flying with sas into oslo airport and will be staying in oslo. i checked out norway in a nutshell but the info was not clear about how to get back if u didnt want to take the night train. is there any way of doing a day trip ourselves. if we got the train to flam would it be possible to just get a boat from there then get the train back without being in a tour as such? if we cannot see the other fjords is oslo fjord worth the look? thank u for ur earlier reply.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the fjords

All trips done on the Norway in a Nutshell are done by public transport and are not organised as separate tours. Corresponding trains etc. will be the same as mentioned on the NiN site.

Take also into account that you are going out of season, and trains as well as ferries and buses are scheduled to fit in for the local communities only. They are fewer, may skip some stops etc. The distances are also long.

A trip on the Oslo Fjord can be nice, but restricted to the summer. It will not comply with your thoughts about seeing the Norwegian fjords (look up this to get an idea from the summer season):

http://tinyurl.com/d5gh9u

Oslo is a long way from the mountain and fjord area, and the main landscape are agricultural and rural blended with summer resorts.

dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: the fjords

thank you for all your help

Oslo
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: the fjords

Some options for a short weekend trip to the fjords

1) NORWAY IN A NUTSHELL

A) NORWAY IN A NUTSHELL - RETURN WITH THE NIGHT TRAIN

As mentioned above

B) NORWAY IN A NUTSHELL - TWO DAY TRIP VIA BERGEN (TRAIN OR FLIGHT)

You should of course do the boat trip and if you don't want to take the night train you could sleep one night in Bergen (a really nice city) and return to Oslo the next day by train (still cheap one-way tickets (NOK 299) by train from Bergen to Oslo this weekend) or a flight back to Oslo. At this moment you could find flight tickets from NOK 199 (www.norwegian.no). Looks like it would be cheapest to go to Bergen by plain and the return trip by train.

C) ONE DAY TRIP (OSLO-FLÅM RETURN IN ONE DAY) (Not really NiN, but you will see some of the same areas)

But if you just want to see a fjord it's possible to go by train to Flåm and return to Oslo in one day. You will have 3h 30min to experience the Flåm area. You could for example take the short bus trip to Flåm's neighbour village Aurland (10 minutes by bus) and you will at least get a view of the world's longest fjord (Sognefjord) or to Gudvangen (Nærøyfjord), Vassbygdi (a small village in a spectacular valley a few kilometres from Aurland) or Undredal (I guess it will be a pretty exotic place - a really small village by Sognefjord with the smallest church in Norway)

The train

http://www.nsb.no/category2734.html?purchase_form-from_station=OSLO+S&purchase_form-to_station=FL%C3%85M&purchase_form-time_departure=3&purchase_form-time_return=3&purchase_form-ticket_type=return&purchase_form-num_adults=1&purchase_form-cal_start_month=2010-01-08&purchase_form-cal_end_month=2010-01-08&purchase_form-cal_start_select=2010-01-15&purchase_form-cal_end_select=2010-01-15

The local bus from Flåm jb.st. to Aurland, Gudvanger or Undredal

www.fjord1.no/default.asp…

www.fjord1.no/default.asp…

2) EXPRESS BUSES TO THE FJORDS

You could also notice that some express buses are going from Oslo to the fjord area all year.

You could for example take Sogn og Fjordaneekspressen from Oslo (0910 every morning) to Sogndal, Balestrand or Høyanger (Sognefjord)

If you want a round trip you could take Vestlandsbussen from Høyanger the next morning to Stryn (Nordfjord) (and then back to Oslo the same day - it will be a really long day in a bus, but you will experience some of the fjords) or to Ålesund (on the northwest coast).

You could check out http://www.nor-way.no/?lang=en_GB

Oslo
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: the fjords

You have to consider that these places are veeery small. There is only one boat, bus etc. so you still have to follow the timetable for the Nutshell tour. You can come back whenever you want to by train, or by the one-way ticket and take the plane back, or go there by night tran/plane and do the round trip on your way back.

9. Re: the fjords

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 08, 2010