We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on NSB timetables on Christmas

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Advice on NSB timetables on Christmas

Hi everyone

Tried to make reservation on NSB train on Dec 24, 2018 Oslo S-Bergen, but unfortunately there is only one train heading to Bergen on that date:08:25-->14:57 and my flight from Doha will be landing in OSL at 13:55. Searched also SAS flying to Bergen but the result just the same, only one flight in the morning.

Change my itinerary going to Bergen the next day on Dec 25, checked the NSB timetables and the earliest departure begins at 12:03 which is very late. Is this something I should be aware of since it is Christmas day, so the timetable of train and flight/SAS would be rare?

SAS on Dec 25 starts at 10:50-->11.40

I still hope that NSB or SAS would add the schedule earlier in the morning on Dec 25. Is this possible?

any insights would be appreciated. Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,877 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Advice on NSB timetables on Christmas

It's not abnormal to have a reduced schedule on Christmas day, so it is possible that these are all your options. If you really need to travel to Bergen on the 25th and the first train is at 12.03, then maybe a flight would be fine as you will be missing all the best landscape (because of darkness).

Alternative would be to spend one day in Oslo and get to Bergen on the 26th (but many things will be closed in Oslo also).

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,666 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Advice on NSB timetables on Christmas

It is Christmas, there is no demand for late travel on Christmas Eve and early travel on Christmas day so trains and flights are planned accordingly.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Advice on NSB timetables on Christmas

I see.. then my choice would be flying on Dec 25. Thanks all for advice

Reply to: Advice on NSB timetables on Christmas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted