We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

Hi everyone,

We're planning a trip to Tromso during November, and I wondered, is the drive from Tromso to Tromvik okay to drive in? My husband and I have experience driving in snow, but not in a lot of icy conditions. What will the roads be like then?

Wehl, Netherlands
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

We were in the Tromsø area last week of March 2014 and had a rental car. When we arrived at the airport, the weather was really bad, strong wind, a lot of snow and even hail.

We have to drive to the East to the Lyngen area (Lakselvbukt) where we rented a cabin.

The road (and most traffic signs) were covered with a few cm of snow.

Nevertheless, if you have an appropriately equipped car, it is safe to drive in such atrocious conditions, even for people not used to such conditions (I'm from the Netherlands).

During winter months spiked tires are absolutely essential. I assume bonafide rental companies equipped the cars with spiked (studded) tires, otherwise insist on having ones. With only winter tires you are helpless on icy roads, especially on slopes.

By the way, the main roads are quickly cleared from snow, even middle in the night.

We drove to various places around Tromsø incl. Sommarøy, Lyngseidet etc. and really enjoy the wonderful winter scenery. By the way, the secondary and tertiary roads in North Norway can be quite bumpy, so you need to drive not too fast.

We can also recommend the Lyngen area (Sørfjorden) for Aurora watching. The area is very beautiful with the fjord surrounded by rugged mountain tops, ideal for making Aurora photographs if you are lucky to see one.

We were blessed being able to watch the magical show in our second night (the other nights were overcast).

Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

Hi WinR.

Is there a way to contact you?

I'm also from Holland and i'll go to Tromso in March too,so i have some questions.

thnx Ricardo

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

There is a personal message feature on the forum. Click on the WinR under the picture to access.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,508 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

@sicilian76; if you ask yours questions out here, then all tourists who planning the same get the same information from the questions and answers..;)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

Agree with GG, if your questions are relevant to other travellers, please ask on the forum.

Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

Okay..i'll try...because i'm Dutch and my English isn't that good, i wanted to ask him in my own language.

I'm traveling to Tromso in March..on my own, and want to rent a car, but i'm affraid that it could be dangerous because nobody is with me if something is happening to me.

So i like to know what are "save" roads to drive if there is snow or ice in March.

Ricardo

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

All main roads are cleared and as safe as can be. If the weather is terrible and driving conditions difficult, there is no reason to travel anywhere anyway.

Just make sure you have a mobile phone fully charged in case something happen.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

I am trying to book for Tromvik lodge but cannot get onto their web site. Does anyone know if the lodge is still available and how we can contact the owners?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

Probably updating the sites at the moment, or they may be on holiday. Be patient and try again later.

…visittromso.no/en/…details

20. Re: Driving from Tromso to Tromvik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 27, 2016