We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avalanche danger!

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Avalanche danger!

Just some information for all Aurora chaser`s who drive theirs own car; The avalanche danger in Troms county is very high these days! And the main road E6/E8 between Hatteng - Skibotn has been closed twice the last days, because of huge avalanches.

From today`s newspaper: "E6 is now open again to traffic; Two large avalanches have blocked E6 through Storfjord yesterday and today. The road is now open again, but can be closed tonight because of a new avalanche danger. It is also reported delays in traffic."

nrk.no/nordnytt/e6-er-na-apen-igjen-for-traf…

The Army tells also that has been over 100 avalanches out in the terrain the last days, so take care everybody!

For two nights ago, about five Aurora buses had to wait in 14 hours in queue on the main road E6, south of Skibotn, before they had clear the road for snow and they could drive back to Tromsø, after a NL chase into Finland, where the weather was better.

Several Aurora tours has been canceled, and probably more will be, because of this extreme bad weather and dangerous driving conditions...

Again, please take care!

Edited: 5:13 am, March 12, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avalanche danger!

Thanks for the warning Gunnar!

I hope our tour with you on 26.03 is still to go ahead?

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avalanche danger!

Three avalanches has stopped very close to the road in Lavangsdalen, road E8, 30 km south of Tromso.

And it's look little scary to see that huge snow mountains so close, when you drive there...

But, after a lots of snow, wind and temperature changing the last days (3 factors for what lift the avalanche danger) it looks like the weather will be more stable the next days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avalanche danger!

That does sound scary, but glad to hear conditions may improve. Hoping you and all the other lights tours stay safe.

UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avalanche danger!

I would just like to say i was on one of the tour busses ;)

What a little adventure! Was very mild weather whilst we were there though so i'm sure thats a huge factor!

We came back via the north (2 ferries and a long drive) was a beautiful detour though.

5. Re: Avalanche danger!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 29, 2015