We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

Hello!

I'm considering a trip to Oslo > Tromso for this New Years, and after possibly too much reading, wanted some local opinions. I've read that solar activity peaks around Sep/Mar and that trips solely to see the lights aren't recommended, but couldn't find statistics on actual viewings in January.

Would anyone from Norway be able to recommend a go or no go for this trip? About 4-5 days starting on Dec 28?

Or any ideas on activities in Tromso which won't be too costly?

According to weather statistics, average precipitation seems to be in my favor:

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

And moon illumination end of December is at a beautiful <5%:

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

Thanks a lot!

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

Thanks much! We are not really keen on skiing. .do you suggest kiruna-lofoten islands-tromso instead? We have a day between kiruna and tromso. ..

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

I would definately reccomend going to Lofoten and Vesteralen. However, in my opinion, you`ll need at least 3 days to make it worthwhile.

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

Hello me and my partner Fi are also arriving in Tromsco just after new year for the Tromsco polar night half marathon. IM very worried though. I sweat an incredible amount even in a UK winter in 30mins of running my shirts and tops are saturated. Will this be dangerous in Tromsco temperatures what shall I wear and how cold will it be? I tend to take 2hrs 20mins to do half marathon in UK How long will they wait for me think we've bitten off more than we can chew Please help thank you

Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

Hey,

I'm from London and I've had a spur of the minute idea of going to Norway for New Year! Id like to see Oslo and would love to see the northern lights in Tromso! But i can only take off 28th dec-1st jan off work (so fly friday eve and leave wed eve).

Those of you who've researched Norway more than I have, dyou think this is possible in so little time? And what's the best way of getting to Tromso, is there a fast train from Oslo or flights from england?

Thanks globe-trotters!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,958 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

There are flights from London to Tromsø with Norwegian. Alternatively, fly to Oslo and catch a local flight to Tromsø. Leaving it this late to book, you may find that flight prices are high and some Tromsø accomodation already booked up.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,744 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

Nozzler50 - welcome to the forum. You might get a response if you started your own thread instead of highjacking an already long thread. Use the 'Ask a question' button at top of the Norway topics list.

Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

Thank you and sorry new to this you might ofguested

Moscow, Russia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

Hi, I saw that you work for a tourist agency in Tromso and thought this was my best chance to ask - what is the best way to reach Tromso from Oslo (Hurtigruten is very expensive and we don't have that much to splurge on such a short winter vacation)? My husband and I are traveling to Oslo on Dec 24th ( i know it's x-mas eve, but there was no way around it) and want to spend about a week in Tromso to catch the LIGHTS!

would appreciate any advice!

Asyl (Moscow)

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

We're booked on the Nordkapp from Bergen 29th December so will be on board over the New Year. Anyone know if the ship does anything different or special for New Year please? I already know they don't do all the usual stops on this voyage.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,600 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Northern Lights for New Years 2014? :-)

The fastest way from Oslo to Tromso is by flight, it's take about 2 hrs!

Please check http://Norwegian.com or http://flysas.no

For accommodation in Tromso, please check http://www.visittromso.no