We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso & Svalbard. MUST do/see for a single traveller.

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso & Svalbard. MUST do/see for a single traveller.

Hey all,

visiting Tromso between 12-15 November then Svalbard until 18.

It's my first time anywhere Arctic so any advice is much appreciated.

Staying at AMI Hotel and on a limited budget.

Would love to see the Northern Lights over the week and then base the rest of my trip on animal watching.

Does anyone know any companies that snorkel with Killer Whales in the Tromso area?

Where are good places to venture out to as a lone traveller?

Planning on saving the dog sledding/snowmobiles for Svalbard.

Any help would be awesome,

Mel.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,638 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tromso & Svalbard. MUST do/see for a single traveller.

The only company that I know of that do snorkelling with the killer whales concept are these ones:

tysfjord-turistsenter.no/en/…

London, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tromso & Svalbard. MUST do/see for a single traveller.

Thanks 'Kilima' :)

Let's just hope I'm VERY lucky over that week and at least some of the things fall in to place.

Washington DC...
14 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Tromso & Svalbard. MUST do/see for a single traveller.

Wish you a great trip! Snorkeling and Whales, sounds exciting! Hope you post on the trip when you return.

London, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tromso & Svalbard. MUST do/see for a single traveller.

Hey Daria,

The trip was amazing.

The killer whales and humpbacks are back in the fjords around Tromso and there were still approx 5 hours of light so got some beautiful pictures. Went with Tromso Friluftsenter who were fantastic.

Was lucky to see the Northern Lights with Guide Gunnar who did a splendid job of driving a long way to find clear skies.

Plus had a lovely day exploring the island and town of Tromso.

Svalbard was a real experience. Loved the remoteness! There's still the brilliant blue of the polar night around midday so I went dog sledding and could see all of the scenery around me. Went with Green Dog who let you get really hands on which was awesome.

Other trips such as the ice caves, trekking and as there's lots of snow now snow mobiles are also on.

Guess I've been lucky with the weather and sightings.

The trip was exactly as I'd hoped for.

Mel :)

Washington DC...
14 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Tromso & Svalbard. MUST do/see for a single traveller.

Wow, that sounds incredible, Mel. Kudos on your well planned trip. Glad it all worked out for you and you were able to see the whales, Northern Lights and do the sledding, despite not so optimistic advice here. Sometimes one just has to take the plunge!

16. Re: Tromso & Svalbard. MUST do/see for a single traveller.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 25, 2014