We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso advice: Ersfjordbotn & transport?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
London
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso advice: Ersfjordbotn & transport?

Hello all,

My partner and I will be going to Tromso in February 2014 for week and I am considering renting a cabin in Ersfjordbotn. I know there are buses there, but does anyone know how much it costs to go from Ersfjordbotn to Tromso? A 2 year old post which I found indicates 40,- NOK, but things may have changed since.

Would anyone recommend hiring a car instead of relying on public transport? I find it hard to find out how expensive exactly buses are to get around in Troms, e.g. if one wants to venture out of town, and how often they go. So the situation is car hire for ~300 euros min. for a week + expensive petrol + freedom vs expensive buses (probably) + having less freedom (depending on bus schedules) ...

I have also read that roads may be difficult to drive on (packed with ice, etc.) at that time of year. I imagine that at least those roads which the buses use will be cleared, but perhaps country roads less so. Any thoughts on this?

The aim of the trip is to see the Norther Lights; go for walks; maybe some cross-country skiing; see the fjords in winter; etc.

Any other advice or hints & tips would be appreciated too!

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Ersfjordbotn
Ersfjordbotn
Troms, Norway
Troms
Troms
Northern Norway, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,887 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso advice: Ersfjordbotn & transport?

The timetable for going between Tromsø and Ersfjord shows that there are very few buses and none at week-ends.

tromskortet.no/getfile.php/Rutetabeller%20%2…

You can also use this travel planner

tromskortet.no/reiseplanlegger/category245.h…

I have no idea about the prices, but if it was NOK 40 some time ago you can add a bit. On city buses you can buy a travel pass.

Getting around the countryside by bus is not realistic.

As for drving in winter conditions, you get a car with studded winter tires and carefully. Just avoid setting out when conditions are difficult like in a blizzard or heavy snowfall.

Go for walks would only be possible along ceared roads, otherwise you need snow shoes.

Edited: 10:10 am, October 22, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Troms
Troms
Northern Norway, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,887 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso advice: Ersfjordbotn & transport?

As far as I can find out a single ticket is now NOK 50.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso advice: Ersfjordbotn & transport?

For one week, rent a car!

So, you easy can move you around to see all the highlights, like Sommarøy, Lyngen alps, Polar Zoo and more.

If you only do day drive and want to follow on guided Aurora tours, it's easy to have a car to drive home after the tour.

All roads from Tromsø to Ersfjord have street lights.

With a car it's easy to drive and buy in groceries too.

But, be prepared to drive in a snowstorm / blizzard! It can be a lovely sunny day, but it can change quickly.

Drive safe and take care, and please don't use your breaks to much. It's better to slow down by gearing down.

And if it's very slippery, don't turn and break together!

But, after a day you will get a feeling of how to drive on icy and snowy roads.

Many tourists who rent a car, they do a day drive first and the same route in the night for the Aurora chase.

Please remember to bring with you enough food and warm drink on thermos flask. And warm clothing. Mitten gloves are best, with finger gloves under if you take pictures.

For rental more clothing, please check http://www.tromsooutdoor.no

For easy parking in Tromsø, use the tunnel, so then you will have a warm and snow free car for your next drive.

Enjoy and happy chasing, and welcome to Tromsø and Arctic Norway!

Mentioned in this post
Troms
Troms
Northern Norway, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,887 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tromso advice: Ersfjordbotn & transport?

Sorry for the typos above, I wanted to say just drive carefully. To avoid skidding, do not brake in a curve, slow down before you enter. As GG says, weather may change quickly and you may find yourself in heavy snowfall or a blizzard and visibility is the main issue in such conditions.

Driving on snow packed roads in cold, clear weather is the easiest. The toughest driving conditions are when it starts alternating between snow and rain and the roads get icy.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tromso advice: Ersfjordbotn & transport?

Could the Norwegians on this forum please bear in mind that most people in the UK have almost no experience of driving in winter conditions and you can't learn to do this safely with just a few words of advice. You have to learn somehow of course, but I think it is irresponsible to tell people 'it's easy to drive' in winter in Norway. Yes it can be, but if weather or snow conditions change it can also be extremely dangerous for anyone who doesn't know what they are doing.

EvaRM - if you are as young as you look in your photo you may not be able to hire a car anyway, due to minimum age restrictions. Getting around without one outside of Tromso is very difficult by public transport, so consider staying in the city and make day trips out where possible, and use the money you save on car rental to do some guided trips or activities.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,887 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tromso advice: Ersfjordbotn & transport?

Brits arrive by the planeload every week in winter and they rent cars. I have not heard of incidents or any severe problems around tourists renting cars at this time of year. I suppose such things would have hit the papers.

The main road - E8 - also named "the northern lights route" is cleared and salted and would not cause a problem under normal driving conditions.

Norwegian drivers fresh from driving schools are no experts either.

We have been shouting warnings for years, but personally I am less worried now as it seems to be less of a problem than I had first anticipated.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tromso advice: Ersfjordbotn & transport?

Thanks so much everyone for the advice! This is really helpful. Much appreciated.

Norsc - Not sure about age restrictions, but I'm 25 (26 when we go to Norway) so surely that shouldn't be a problem... :) In any event, my boyfriend will surely be able to drive as he is a few years older than I am.

Edited: 12:50 pm, October 24, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
15,861 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tromso advice: Ersfjordbotn & transport?

You could always take a skid pan course before arriving. It's compulsory for Norwegian learner drivers and fun anyway.

9. Re: Tromso advice: Ersfjordbotn & transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 26, 2014