We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso and area - June 2014

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kent
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso and area - June 2014

Hello

We are planning a trip to Tromso in early June next week, we have 5/6 days available.

Reading all the posts on the forum I think this would be too long to stay in Tromso (or do you disagree ?) I was thinking that we could fly into Tromso Airport (flights have already been booked) pick up a hire car and drive over to Lokvollen to see the Lyngen Fjord, maybe stay in one of the lodges at Manndale Sjoboer for two nights - what else is in that area to see ?

Then drive to Tromso and stay at the City Living Apartments for three nights and explore Tromso.

Are there any days trips from Tromso that you would recommend ? I think whale watching is too far away ?

Appreciate your views on the above and any advice you can give us.

Thanks in advance

Kim

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

Lyngen alps are lovely, but please don't forget Senja... from Tromsø you can drive over Kvaloya, via Sommarøy and then a ferry from Brensholmen to Botnhamn.

Highlights on Senja are Ersfjord beach, Tungenes and Bergsfjord view.

Take the night at http://www.hamnisenja.no

Kent
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

Thanks for the advice, Senja does look very pretty - funny it is not mentioned in any of the guidebooks I have even though it is the 2nd largest island.

What about whale watching, can this be done in the area?

Kim

Edited: 12:05 pm, September 19, 2013
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

In the summer time you have to take a ferry (where you can see the whales from this fery too), from Gryllefjord, Senja, and over to Andenes, Vesterålen for whale watching for joining tours with http://www.whaletours.com

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

Unfortunately, Senja has fallen behind when it comes to marketing. Turning that to our advantage, it is still a hidden gem.

Some more info here

destinasjonsenja.no/index.php/en/experiences

And the national tourist route

http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/senja

Continuing onto Andøya and Lofoten, there are more of the scenic roads.

Kent
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

Thanks both for your advice.

Next question, if we stay in Lokvollen, can we do Senja in a day trip from there or would you consider it too far ?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

Is this the place you are referring to ?

http://goo.gl/maps/6ZoDU

Too far is very individual - for a North-Norwegian probably not. But there is no point in just crossing over to Senja and go back - you would need time to drive the scenic road. And it has to be coordinated with the not so frequent ferries.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

I guess Løkvolllen are in Lyngen...

Please do you ready there before you explore Senja!

Kent
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

Thanks again. Do you think that we should just concentrate on Senja and Tromso and not visit Lyngen? We would rather not rush and enjoy what there is to see in each place.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

As you wrote, you have 5-6 days...

I should take Tromsø (1), Lyngen (2) and Senja (2).

Kent
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tromso and area - June 2014

Hello all

We are back to planning our June trip and have a few more questions.

We are staying in Manndalen Sjobuer for a couple of days and have a car. This may seem a silly question but to see Lyngenfjord do we have to do so by boat? If so are there local tours available?

What else would you recommend visiting in the area ?

From Manndalen we will be driving to Senja to stay at Hamn i Senja. What is the best route to take? I have looked on distance websites and to drive it will take approximately three hours via the Rv86. Would it be quicker to go via the Brensholmen/Botnhamn ferry?

I am thinking of the ferry as it arrives in Botnhamn which is the start of the National tourist route Senja and we could drive on this to Hamn.

Is there a map of the National tourist route, I can't find one anywhere. I am keen to know where the following are situated on the route to plan our trip Husoya, Ersfjord Beach, tungeneset and Bergsbotn , appreciate some will be a detour from the route.

Finally, where is the nearest supermarket to Hamn? Will there be one on route from Manndalen?

Thank you in advance

Kim