We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso on a budget from the UK possible?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tromso on a budget from the UK possible?

Has anyone been to Tromso on a reasonable budget for a few days in February?

Would like to go for 3-4 nights around 20th Feb.

Just in the thought stages at the moment.... It would be cool for my son and I to go Tromso and maybe get a glimpse of the Aurora Borealis,dog sledding and a night in a Sami tent.

Anyhow where do I start?

Do I get a package deal (they look expensive)or DIY?

Which airlines should I look up?

Also not keen on driving, is that possible?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,650 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso on a budget from the UK possible?

Note that in the period 15th February to 2nd March Norwegian schools have their winter half term holiday (one of these two weeks depending on county) and you can expect prices of accommodation and flights to be higher and trains to be fully booked especially in the weekends. So if you have any flexibility I would suggest to avoid this period, otherwise book early.

Check out http://www.visittromso.no/en/

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso on a budget from the UK possible?

It all depends on your budget. Direct flights from London to Tromsø at www.norwegian.no

If the flight prices suit your budget - then perhaps. But it is peak season and acco in your price range may be sold out. You probably need to plan a year or so in advance.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso on a budget from the UK possible?

The winter holiday period in Norway makes no difference to hotel rates in Tromso or anywhere else, apart from in ski resorts. There should be no problem with availability of accommodation at this stage, except perhaps in small places with few rooms.

Use the fare calendar at www.norwegian.com to find the lowest fares on the direct flight from Gatwick to Tromso. 11 - 15 Feb is about GBP110 return at the moment. Fares will get more expensive nearer the time, so don't delay booking but make sure you have accommodation in place before committing to non-refundable flights. Don't use booking.com or similar as Norwegian hotels don't allocate many rooms to them. Contact the hotel direct or use their own online booking system.

You'll get plenty of advice on this forum if you want to arrange things independently, but remember responsibility for the trip and anything that might go wrong will be yours alone.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tromso on a budget from the UK possible?

Totally agree with Norsc, Norwegian school holidays will not interfere with hotel/accomodation prices in Norway apart from maybe ski resorts. It may make a difference on flight prices Tromsø-London-Tromsø but not vice versa.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tromso on a budget from the UK possible?

For the overnight in a Sami tent, including activities you can forget the word budget...

Please check http://www.lyngsfjord.com for the best camp.

6. Re: Tromso on a budget from the UK possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 19, 2014