We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Topic
from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

hi,

I am planing to travel from Rovaniemi to Tromso in late september, probably on 30 sept or 1 oct, searching for northern lights.

People said that the only way is to take a bus from Rovaniemi to Karasjok, stay one night, and then take a bus to Lakselv airport and fly to Tromso. Is that so?

Here is my itin:

Rovaniemi - Karasjok ( BUS: 1125 -1755)

Karasjok - LAKSELV (bus no. 416 1030-1140)

LAKSELV-TROMSO (flight 1230-1315)

May i ask if the bus 416 is still running? Is the timetable right? Do I need to buy tix in advance?

And I have quite a lot of question about Tromso as well.

1. Some said that Tromso is usually cloudy and we have to search for a place to see northern light. How to find a tour guide there? How much does it cost? May we join tour after we arrive or book in advance?

2. Our budget is quite tight, may anyone suggest some budget hostel?

3. Is early October a good timing for northern light?

We understand that seeing northern light is by luck, but since we travel all the way from Hong Kong, we want to maximize our chance.

Any recommendation is appreciated.

Thank you so much!!!!

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,855 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

Please check this one, where you by touching the different routes you will get up a red line for the route the bus will use, on the map. Please check the bus who starts in Helsinki and goes via Rovaniemi to Tromsø.

www.eskelisen-lapinlinjat.com/sw/index.php…

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,638 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

Bus timetables may change in October, but there will always be connections to Lakselv and the flights to Tromsø. Just check a bit closer to your arrival. There is also a bus connection Karasjok-Alta-Tromsø.

All accomodation and tour providers are listed on the official web site for Tromsø, hopefully you will find something to suit your budget.

http://www.visittromso.no/en/

Predict the weather or the NL acitivity is impossible.

Current weather, forecast and statistics

http://weather.cs.uit.no/

www.yr.no

BTW, it does not look like the bus service to Tromsø runs in late September/early October

www.eskelisen-lapinlinjat.com/en/index.php…

Edited: 3:37 am, July 10, 2013
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,855 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

By the way, you will not be alone in Tromsø... maybe you will meet your neighbor there..;)

Because this season it´s looks like Hong Kong are taking over the bookings of Aurora tours...

If you want to join one of the hottest name for your Aurora chase you have to book in advance, but there`s so many new companies, and there`s 50 seats coaches too, so it will always be a seat vacant for tourists who book on the day...

Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

thanks everyone for your advice!

I know that there's no bus from rovaniemi to tromso in sept/ oct, that's why I have to transfer at karasjok to lakslev, instead of taking a bus.

but the information about the bus service between karasjok and lakslev is so few....

and are there many Hong Kong people come in oct ? I don't know this!

may you suggest some tour guide?

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

This one is very good and has been doing NL tours for many years

www.guide-gunnar.no .

Also this one

www.naturinord.no

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,855 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

Yeah, espically in October..;)

By the way, I saw in that route I show you in first message, it looks like it`s only a summer route, from June to September (22nd) and winter from February to April...

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,638 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

Bus 215 and 416 will serve Lakselv airport

http://www.177finnmark.no/Rutetabeller/buss

Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

thanks for the bus information! do I need to book in advance or just pay when I get on the bus?

and the NL tour seems nice!

so guide Gunnar u run tour right? if i want to join tour, when do I need to book ? lets say ,if according to forecast there will be NL in the coming few days, and then I book tour, it will be more secure?

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

If you want to discuss booking a specific tour you will need to contact the provider via their web site, not via this forum.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,638 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: from rovaniemi to tromso in early october

If you go to the link for GuideGunnar provided by norsc in the link above, you will also find his booking calendar ,prices and contact details. Please contact the providers directly for specific questions and availabilities.

Edited: 10:38 am, July 10, 2013