We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best month for snow in Tromso

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
best month for snow in Tromso

I know it is a bit like asking 'how long is a piece of string' .

i am doing a bit of research on behalf of my daughter who plans to visit Jan. or Feb. 2014 for a few days.

Seeing the Northern Lights is the main reason, fingers crossed, but they also would like activities such as dog /reindeer sledding and she mentioned another where you meet some people who live in tents. Is there a particular month when snow is more likely than another please?

will it be fairly dark all day in Tromso during Jan/Feb ?

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best month for snow in Tromso

What do you like and what do you need..?

Some people says, or they have read on internet, that October and March are the best months for the Northern lights chase… How can they say that..?

I am sorry to tell, but nobody can tell which month who are best, so you just have to be out there and do your chase and hope for the best. Little good luck is also good to have…

The activity of the Northern Lights are coming from the sun, and as you know, if it`s no more activity on the sun, then we will die on this planet.

Since it`s activity on the sun and that`s part of the reason why we can see the Northern lights, then it will say that we have a view to the Northern lights 24/7…

What we need it`s clear sky and darkness… and the moon, new or full, it`s no matter if the NL activity are great!

So, which months should you come for your chase..? That`s actually more up to you about what you like and what do you need…

During the summer we have 24 hours daylight, and Midnight Sun between May and July, so then we can`t see anything of Aurora`s dance. So, since we need darkness, you can see the NL between mid-August to mid-April.

If you like to have some snowy activities, you have to come after New Year, since the best snowy winter are from January to April. Actually we can ski in Mai and June too, some years… But sometimes we have good winter in October - December too…

If you like to have warmer weather during your chase you should try September.

And for the Polar Nights period, you have to come between mid-November to mid-January, when the sun are under the horizon… but this is also the coldest time…

October and November can be quite wet, but in November and December it`s also the largest meteorite show, so…

If you like to join some Festivals, then we have The half Polar marathon, The International Film Festival and The Northern lights Festival (classic music) in January, and The winter festival & the Sami Week, with reindeer race in the main street, in February…

The tricky thing the last years winters is that we getting a warm period, with a lot of rain and temperatures up to 10 plus degrees celsius, and then everything get very icy, the driving conditions are horrible, and many tours get cancelled, because of the security goes first... and the bad thing, this warm periods has come in February and March...

Edited: 7:56 am, June 27, 2013
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best month for snow in Tromso

By the way, we recommend that you should stay at least 5 nights in Tromsø or Northern Norway for your chase. Not necessary on a guided tour every night, but you should be outdoor, where the sky is clear, every night between 6 pm and 1 am for increase your chances to get the great one.

Because some nights there is a snow storm, and another night there`s no Aurora activtiy, so...

Actually, it`s much better to do the travel to the north, to the Arctic, for another reason... the cultures, the people, the activities, and let Aurora come as an extra bonus, so you don`t have to be sooooo dissapointed if you don`t caught the greatest show, that Aurora show everybody are talking about..;)

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best month for snow in Tromso

thanks GUIDE GUNNAR.

My question was more about being able to do the the snow activities as I have read that November can be wet with no snow. If there is a better chance of snow after New Year that would suit my daughter.

I think that the 'people who live in tents' that my daughter mentioned may be the Sami . Thanks for the tip on the Sami Festival, it sounds fun.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,836 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best month for snow in Tromso

Yes, the chances of snow are better after Christmas. The best months are normally February, March and April. During these months you have snow AND daylight. Nedless to say this is the high season and everything needs to be booked well in advance.

There are no people living in tents permanently. The reindeer herders may live in tents for some nights while migrating their herds to the coast in spring, but otherwise sami are like you and me - they live in houses. The festival is purely cultural.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best month for snow in Tromso

If they like to stay a night in a Sami tent, then http://www.lyngsfjord.com have this offer, and then they can do for example reindeer sledge the first day and dogsledding the 2nd.

They have pickup in the city, and you can also add hot tub, sauna and dinner during the stay.

6. Re: best month for snow in Tromso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 29, 2014