We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

Dear all,

I am actually planning a trip to Norway for the Northern Lights and just wondering, if I am going to stay a few nights in Lyngen Lodge, do I still need to book a Northern Lights tour and Fjord Excursion Tour with Artic Explorer to enjoy all of the beauty in Tromso?

Cos I'm afraid that the fjord excursion tour and northern lights chase done by Artic Explorer would be actually near to Lyngen Lodge location... doesn't wan to have a clash of similar things in the itinerary :)

Or should I just stay in Tromso and book the packages with Artic Explorer? And forgo the Lyngen lodge experience? Hope to have some advices.. thanks!

Appreciate lots!

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

Lyngen lodge are located about 200 km away from Tromsø, and the tours begins in the city...

But, this lodge are by the fjord, in a small village with an amazing view over the fjord to Lyngen, so it's a great location for do your own chase..;)

Please check http://www.visittromso.no for all accommodation!

Edited: 4:56 am, June 17, 2013
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

Hi,

If you stay at Lyngen Lodge do you plan to travel to Tromso to go out with tours? That is sheer madness.

Some times NL chasers travel to the coastal sides. They would only come back to Tromso. You'll have to drive back for 3-4 hours in the night. Absolutely not a great idea.

Lyngen lodge themselves offer plenty of activities but I don't know if they arrange a NL chase. I found the prices for their guided activities quite expensive. Saying so there are plenty of reports of seeing the lights right from the lodge. But no one can guarantee.

Perhaps you can combine a few days at Lyngen Lodge to enjoy the views and a few days in Tromso. I can tell you there are amazing views of fjords and mountains not too far from Tromso.

Do you plan to drive ?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

Thanks for all of your advices! Would it be more reasonable n cheaper if we stay in Tromso, engage Artic Explorers for their 2-days NL Chase and fjord adventure? And at the end of it we can leave it optional to go lyngen lodge for 2 nights stay perhaps? Would self drive be cheaper? My husband wish to try out driving in snow but we are just afraid of the safety and road direction. Thanks again for all of your valuable feed backs :)

Hamburg, Germany
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

If you are planning on driving in snow, I suggest you opt for a 4 wheel drive as the roads can be slippery and with lots of snow!

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

All rental cars will be fitted with winter tyres during the winter months. 4 wheel drive is not necessary for driving on normal roads and could easily make an inexperienced driver over-confident. You need to know how to drive safely on snow-covered roads, so you are right to be cautious. Bear in mind it will be dark for most or all of the day if you are there in mid-winter, and you could easily find yourself in a snow storm with very limited visibility. IMO this is not something to 'try out' for fun.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

We are not using 4WD here in the Arctic..;)

Just for your information, there`s more 4WD in London than here in Northern Norway!

But, we have winter tyres and 70% of us use studs (steel spikes) in them.

The best advise I can give if you are driving on snowy roads and when you meet a truck; Slow down! Because after the truck you will meet a "local snowstorm".

Anf if you are driving before the snow arrives, then you have to take care in the evening, because the water on the roads get icy, and that`s not so easy to see...

So, take care!

Edited: 8:09 am, June 18, 2013
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

And one more thing about 4WD: It works very good up a steep hill, but how do you think it`s works downhill...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

Ah, seems that it's a challenge to drive in snow covered roads and yes, thanks for reminding me about the night hahaha! Forgot that the day-time is shorter during winter and most probably we are visiting in Early Feb, since our main aim is Northern lights :)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

4WD is irrelevant. It may give you a false sense of security. I kept 4WD engaged all the time and perhaps it did help me couple of times climbing on the slope for our car park.

But it didn't prevent me from getting stuck in a snowdrift. And as one tyre was literally floating on soft snow so 4WD didn't get me out either.

What you need is this :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96504259@N06/8858317785/

http://flic.kr/p/euMcfZ

Gunnar is absolutely right about those icy patches.

One more advice if you are taking a ferry. On landing from any ferry let everyone else, especially the local tarffic go and start after 5 minutes so that you can take your own sweet time.

But with a bit of common sense you should be fine. I had very little experience of driving in ice and snow before.

Edited: 3:50 pm, June 18, 2013
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lyngen Lodge and Artic Explorer

Rented vehicles will only have winter tyres without studs. Many car owners prefer studded tyres but they only offer an advantage in very icy conditions. When there is no snow on the road they damage the road surface and don't grip as well as non-studded tyres.