We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
singapore
Level Contributor
188 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

Hi,

Hi,

We will be staying at Malangen Brygger in the 1st week of December for a week - the main aim is to relax in the nice cottage (has a sauna) and also hopefully view the lights.

They have a little place up the hill called Camp Nikka that's about 15mins walk from the accomodation. The cottage also has a balcony looking right out into the fjords.

If the conditions are favourable, am I correct that we should not have a problem seeing the Northern Lights in Malangen? Its supposed to be dark enough since its in the countryside so I gather it should be better than trying to view the lights in Tromso city itself.

After reading all the reviews on the tours that "chase" the northern lights, we cant take the kind of gruelling hours and will have also have a problem with toilet breaks if it gets too long. Besides the cost is a little too much for us as there are 3 of us and we dont drive. (Malangen has a pickup service @ NOK700 pp return).

Just want to be sure that Malangen is one of the places we may have a chance in seeing the Aurora if the conditions are favourable.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

Hi,

I can wholeheartedly recommend Lauklines Kystferie and YOU CAN see the Aurora from your bed if you are lucky but if you are happy to drag yourself 5 meters then the view is much better!!

Although the Sauna is not private but honestly you are very unlikely to share it with other guests.

Just like you I also wanted to relax away from hustle and bustle and although there were 6 cabins but we never felt crowded and just 5-10 minutes drive would take us to our "private" snow covered beach Vaastrand.

Please come with little expectation as no one can control Mother Nature and enjoy. There are lots more to enjoy in northern Norway in addition to the aurora.

I also suffer from really bad jet lag when travelling east like S'Pore or Oz. Melatonin does help me to get back to the rhythm slightly earlier.

Cheers

singapore
Level Contributor
188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

Hi,

I like to thank filma for the recommendation of the Lauklines Kystferie link. We took a look and it does look very nice too. In fact, we are drawn to the amount of wood used as it really gives a cozy feel. Quite similar to the wooden chalet we stayed on a trip to the Swiss Alps.

Since we havent paid any deposit for Malangen yet, I emailed Lauklines to make some enquiries. Hope they will respond soon.

Can I ask the experts based in Tromso whether seeing the Northern Lights is better in Lauklines or Malangen (assuming conditions are right) or there is no difference between the two?. From google maps, Lauklines seems more exposed and looks very inviting.

They have a transport pickup costing NOK 2000 with an option to stop by a supermarket on the way for an extra NOK 200. Is it cheaper to take a taxi rather than use their transport? Just a bit worried the taxi may not know the place and go round in circles, clocking up $$$ with the meter and also whether the cost adds up to almost the same.

I am not sure if the place is available for the first week of Dec as their calendar availability doesnt seem to be working. Thats why I emailed to ask.

Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks!

Edited: 12:00 am, April 16, 2013
singapore
Level Contributor
188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

Hi Supratik,

I saw your photos and review on the forum and also the lodging review. Really happy that you had such a good time! It really shows on your pics and experience its contagious. :):):). I like the pic of you lying on the snow spread out in sheer exhiliration!!

You did self catering and cooking but we will most likely look at the option of getting the diner to deliver all 80% of our meals for the week's stay and store them in the fridge. i assume the fridge is large enough.

The delivery charge is a whopping NOK400 before 4pm so we will see if its ok to order the prepackaged meals that they can prepare in one delivery. Assuming that outlet is open during our intended visit if it works out.

Can you tell me whether you bought your groceries from Tromso itself or along the way to Lauklines? Their transport charges an extra NOK200 to drop by the supermarket and I am not sure if we should just stock up when we are in Tromso for 6 nights. Not sure if the supermarket that the pickup brings us to is better stocked than those in Tromso. We are definitely not driving.

I am quite excited after looking at the Lauklines website. Altho Malangen Brygger also looks very good but most imp is which place is more conducive to view the lights.

The staff at Malangen do answer my queries but they made a mistake twice in the figures during the bookings and may take a little longer to reply. So its quite a pain when its done by different staff rather than one person. I have had to point out their errors a few times. But having said that, they have been very polite.

Lauklines looks more family and personal and so I thought we would check it out. Provided they get back to me on our enquiries.

You can do a private message to me if there is any thing you wish to advice.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,450 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

About accommodation outside for Tromsø, please also check http://havogfjell.no

Location are 38 km north of Tromsø airport.

singapore
Level Contributor
188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

Hi,

Thanks Gunnar for your recommendation.

We have already managed to get in touch with Lauklines Kystferie and have confirmed we will stay there instead of Malangen Brygger. Many thanks to Kilma for giving me the link earlier.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

The fridge is large enough to store meals for 2-3 days. The freezer is outside but easily accessible. Sorry can't help with grocery shopping as we hardly did any. After looking at the food prices, delivery charges and being vegetarians we decided to pack our bags with easy cook or ready made meals, pasta, noodles, soups and various other dry food. All we bought were bread, eggs, milk and fruits. We nowadays almost always stay self-catering whenever possible and are very used to that.

I didn't look into shopping from Tromso as I was parking the car in the tunnel and that meant carrying the bags to the car. The Aida Handel shop just at the turn for Sommaroy is very conveniently placed with plenty of free parking and looked quite well stocked.

If it is at all possible please hire a car. Even if you don't go chasing the lights it would still give you a lot of freedom. Andreas is very accommodative and I'm sure he'll offer you sound advice on meal arrangements.

As you know this forum is full of people moaning how expensive Norway is and although I do agree with that view but if you budget food and alcohol strictly rest is actually not too bad.

Cheers.

singapore
Level Contributor
188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

Hi Supratik,

Many thanks for your info. I will budget accordingly and since this is going to be just a once in a lifetime kind of trip, we will make a little more room for food expenses.

I am currently checking out the pre packed foods from one of the restaurants "Solberg Petterson" which is listed on the Lauklines site. I looked at the menu prices and they are around NOK189 each. They also have pizzas at NOK179. Since I am a small eater, we can share two mains with more bread and salad.

The food is prepared cold so we can heat it up ourselves. I will email and ask them if the dishes we want can be kept in the fridge without perishing during the week we are there. There is a small supermarket linked to the restaurant so we can pick up bread etc as well.

All we need is to preorder the food a week before collection.

Alternatively they do a delivery service at a whopping NOK400. But I understand the restaurant is 25kms away, hence the steep charge.

You are fortunate to be closer to Norway, compared to our 13hr flight (not counting the domestic from Oslo to Tromso). We fly from Singapore, transit in Copenhagen to Oslo. Then connect to Tromso. I counted a total of almost 22 hrs before finally landing in Tromso (including transit and waiting time inbetween).

Whilst having a car is more convenient for many, its something we prefer not to do.

Being from the tropics, we are not used to roads esp if it gets icy or snowy, even with snow tyres. Half the time we will be looking out for directions and be pretty stressed up as they drive on the other side of the road. And then its practically dark most of the day.

Too many things to get acquainted with, plus the jet lag. So we wont take the risk and prefer to just relax. Besides, my husband doesnt drive, only my son and I.

By the way, there is a Nord shop in Lauklines Kysterie selling winter wear. Did you walk into it? Wondering if its extensive enough for us to rent our thermal and shoes.

Regards

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,450 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

Please quit the meals you are writing about here, and buy your own vegetables, eg, and make your own dishes. It's cheaper!

About rental clothes, Magne in Tromsø Natur og Fritid lives at Lauklines, so he can leave a clothes package there for you.

But, what's Nord Shop..? Never heard about that, something new or wrong named..?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

Gunnar is always to the point, like it or not !!

Lauklines has a service centre and Tromso Natur og Fritid also has a shop next door. As GG said we hired snow suits etc and Magne left it for us there.

I thought the price for the clothing was very good value for money and it was more than adequate for us. But the snow suits Hege provided for dog sledging were even better.

I think by Nord shop you mean Magne's shop.

singapore
Level Contributor
188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Malangen Brygger & Northern Lights

LOL! I have reading up so much that I got the names all mixed up. Yes gunnar, I meant Natur og Fritid instead of Nord. Won't be surprised if I will also mistake Fritid for frigid after a while. Hahaha.

Indeed their rental prices are very reasonable. My husband and son won't shouldn't have problems with sizes but I will have to email about mine. Usually my jacket is UK size 8-10 and shoe size 5 or 35 with thick wooly socks. Maybe I can use large kids size as European sizes are rather big. I weigh 46kg and wonder if i may get blown off the bridge if we walk to Arctic Cathedral!

Natur's, snow boots have anti skid soles, are these suitable for normal walking in the winter conditions in the last week of nov in tromso?

Not sure if the streets are icy and mushy or snowy...at the time of our visit. If their snow shoes can be worn, we don't need the spikes right?

We are in Tromso 19 Nov-25 and move off to Lauklines for more than a full week in Lauklines. Flying off to Oslo on Dec 8. We are the sort who can really chill out and relax without trying to squeeze a thousand and one activities during our holidays. Just got to get used to so much darkness - but that's what we need for seeing the aurora (assuming the other conditions are right).

By the way, are their museums like Perskpectiv, Polarmuseet, Tromso and Polaria heated inside? Some countries crank up the heat so much and others don't.

Ditch our pre ordered food in Lauklines? Uh uh.....Cutting down on some orders maybe, but we do need (ok maybe want rather than need) some level of comfort since we are on holiday. If they sell salmon at the supermarket, we can cook those ourselves IF its cheaper. Not sure how pricey the supermarket salmon is.

But we definitely need a little more sustenance and the SolbergP's menu of cooked dishes do sound inviting.

What I like about SolbergP is their meats & stuff are local and fresh. Well at least that's what they claim.

Take a look at their website

http://www.solbergpettersen.no/

It's great getting all this info and "chatting" with you guys. I feel like I am already there mingling with international friends.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and chat :):)