We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Norway trip report

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Shropshire
Level Contributor
207 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
My Norway trip report

We are back and had a wonderful time. We met some great Norwegian people whose command of English put us Brits to shame.

We flew into Oslo and stayed at the Scandic Byporten at Oslo S station. We did this to easily catch the Bergen train the next morning. We ate at the Egon restaurant for dinner and really enjoyed the atmosphere and views over the city. The Egon was also the restaurant Scandic use for breakfast which was OK.

We bought supplies for the train trip at the mini supermarket on our walk to the station, which was only 5 minutes away, all inside the shopping complex. The 7 hour train journey was fantastic as the weather was glorious and we arrived at Bergen at 3 pm just in time to check into Hurtigruten, The ferry doesn't leave until 10.30 pm so we walked into town and took a trip up the funicular, with the weather still holding we had great views over the town including the Finnmarken ferry boat.

Because my wife has a small appetite we had decided to go B & B This caused some of you to question if we could survive just using the cafeteria on board. It was excellent for the four days we were aboard. Sometimes we ate lunch ashore when in port but always ate in the cafe at night. Rose in charge of the cafe/shop couldn't have been more helpful. The food was very good, and by Norwegian standards not too expensive. The beauty of it was that we were not tied to a time to eat.

The weather was not always perfect but the scenery was amazing. Alcohol is expensive in Norway and the barman in the panoramic lounge did little business. We disembarked at Tromso and stayed at the 'Clarion With' paying extra for a sea view, Stunning! Although the hotel is expensive the price includes afternoon waffles and an evening buffet, which can save you a fortune on eating out. On the first night we went dog sledding with the Lyngisfyord adventure company. Two hours of adrenalin fueled fun with lots of breaks when people fell off or the dogs got tangled. To top it all the Lights danced for us that night. We were lucky. We were in the middle of nowhere with complete darkness and they danced.(If you would like to know more about this excursion PM me).

The last day we did some sight seeing and really enjoyed the Polaria. Time your visit for seal feeding time.

The journey home was a nightmare but you can't have it all.

Many thanks to all my forum friends who helped us construct an amazing holiday

Glyn D

Nordnorsk Kunstmuseum
Gift & Specialty Shops, Art Galleries, Art Museums
Blast
Art Galleries, Gift & Specialty Shops
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Norway trip report

Thank you so much for reporting back. Very, very pleased that you had a successful trip and had luck with the NL as well. Well done :)

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Norway trip report

Sounds like a great trip - thanks for sharing. The report is added to our library: tripadvisor.com/…47816453

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,963 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Norway trip report

Great report. Thanks for coming back to us, and for sharing !

Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Norway trip report

Thanks for posting, very interesting. Would love to do the train journey at some point in the future. Sorry that you trip home wasn't great and hope that it didn't wipe out all those fabulous memories.

kolkata
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Norway trip report

Hi I am noe in Oslo.Will be going to Tromso on 10th March.Pl share more of your Tromso experience

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Norway trip report

kolkata,

This is a pretty detailed report. What more can you ask for?

You can also read Chanksie's report and several others here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190455-i550-k3785…

7. Re: My Norway trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 10, 2014