We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A cruise stop day in Tromso on our own?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
A cruise stop day in Tromso on our own?

We will be stopping in Tromso via cruise ship in mid June and would like to visit the Polaria Arctic Center and arctic cathedral.

We don't want to do a ship's excursion and wonder if doing these couple stops on our own would be easy. Walking? Bus? And do you rec any other sights/activities for us for that day? We will be here from around 8-5. Thanks.

Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A cruise stop day in Tromso on our own?

Both of the things you mention are easily doable on your own, without the need for a ship's excursion. The town of Tromso is compact and easy to find your way around. Double check on the opening times of the Arctic Cathedral as I know when I was there last year it didn't open to visitors until 16.00 or 16.30. If you are feeling energetic you can walk over the bridge and will probably take around 30-40 minutes or catch the number 26 bus from the town centre. Polaria is around a 5-10 walk from the quay where the ship will berth.

Have a wonderful time.

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A cruise stop day in Tromso on our own?

Thank you for the info. In the meantime I have read that our ship will dock in Breivika. Also that that port is an easy walk to the botanical gardens, which I know my husband would love to see. So we would stop there first and then perhaps head to the museum. Would we plan on going to the town center maybe for a little shopping before the museum? Not sure how the walk /bus directions are.

Devon
Level Contributor
231 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A cruise stop day in Tromso on our own?

Sorry I assumed that the ship would dock in the centre as there was a Fred Olsen ship there last week, docked just behind the Hurtigruten berth. You can buy a 24 hour ticket for the local buses if you needed to bus it in to town which works out more cost effective than a one off journey. The buses are very easy to navigate and run frequently. I paid 70 NOK for the ticket and purchased it from a kiosk on the main street, as I was told it was cheaper than buying on the bus. Not sure if that info was correct.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A cruise stop day in Tromso on our own?

The walk from the Botanical garden to downtown is about 40-45 minutes, and there`s really not much to see as you will mainly be walking through industrial areas.

I`m pretty sure there will be shuttle buses from your ship to downtown. If not, catch the 42 bus from the botanical garden. It stops at the Polaria museum (ask the driver where to disembark). Polaria is pretty much downtown, only a 2-3 minute walk.

If you are up for it, walk across the bridge to the Arcitic Cathedral and then to further to the cable car, as Chanksie advises you to. Buses 20, 24, 26 and 28 will take you across the bridge to the cathedral. If you want to go directly to the cable car, you`ll have to use the 26 bus. All the buses depart from the street below the main square.

If you`d like to get away from all the other tourists, take the 28 or 40 bus to Prestvannet. (Departure from Fredrik Langes Gate. Again, ask the driver where to disemnbark) This is a beautiful lake on top of the Island where a lot of locals like to go for some peace and quiet. From there it should be a pretty easy walk to get back to your ship using the pathways in the woods. Follow the signs to Tromsøhallen where you`ll probably see your ship.

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A cruise stop day in Tromso on our own?

This is ALL such wonderful and very helpful information. The plan from the gardens to Polaria and shopping time in the town center works for me.

And if the weather is kind to us mid June, a nice walk to the Cathedral sounds wonderful too.

We are hoping the cable car will be running by then. I understand it will be closed until "summertime". Where would that fit into our day? Perhaps to avoid the rush of the cruisers, getting there a little later than others would be better?

Again, thanks for this very useful information. Basics like these at our ports of call will make this trip more enjoyable.

6. Re: A cruise stop day in Tromso on our own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 22, 2014