We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best areas to stay outside of Tromso to see Northern Lights?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Best areas to stay outside of Tromso to see Northern Lights?

Hi all,

My husband and I are heading to Tromso on 28 February - 5 March in hopes of seeing the Northern Lights. We have so far booked one nights accommodation in the main town - Amalie Hotel. Our flight back to London is very early on the Tuesday so we know that we'll need to spend one more night in Tromso, otherwise we'd like to travel out of Tromso and see some of the spectacular sights Norway has to offer.

We'll be hiring a car however I'd love to hear any ideas or advice you have on getting out of Tromso. We'd love to go on the Hurtigruten however we just don't have enough time.

Where should we go? What's are the driving conditions usually like? Are there any Cabins/cottages you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,151 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best areas to stay outside of Tromso to see Northern Lights?

There are cabins and cottages, but rumour has it that those closest to the city (Lauklines and Ersfjordbotn) are fully booked. Could be worth a try still - cancellations do happen.

You will find most of the accomodation available on the official web site - including fishermans cabins and cottages. Lyngen and Balsfjord are popular fjord areas.

http://www.visittromso.no/en/Accommodation/

There is also the hotel at Sommarøy - they have cottages too.

https:/…

Also a bit further afield (bookable at booking.com)

http://malangen.com/accommodation/?lang=en

I also stumbled across this site last week - geared towards fishing holidays on a weekly basis, but I would still try and negotiate a shorter stay.

dintur.no/Feriehus-i-Norge/…

Edited: 8:41 am, February 09, 2013
Oslo
Level Contributor
13,442 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best areas to stay outside of Tromso to see Northern Lights?

In winter roads are usually covered in ice or hard snow (slush in mild weather). Traffic basically runs as normal, just a bit slower. Adopt a "defensive" driving style - take it easy around corners, allow generous space to other cars (3 seconds is absolute minimum), frequent tests of frictions by breaking.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best areas to stay outside of Tromso to see Northern Lights?

Thanks for such quick replies.

Malangen looks great. I'm sending through an enquiry about their Northern Lights weekend package. I wasn't really interested in a package, however when you include accommodation, a Northern Lights tour etc, it seems like fairly good value.

I had looked at the visittromso website, however there are no reviews so wanted to hear what others thought. If the above doesn't work out, I'll definitely look back there and see what I can find.

If we do this, we may not need a car - or do you think it would still be good to have the car to explore around a little more? We're from Australia so not the most seasoned snow drivers - thanks for the tip OsloViking.

Thanks again for your help.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,442 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best areas to stay outside of Tromso to see Northern Lights?

If you want to explore around and also to look for the lights, a car is very useful. Cars are fitted with special studded winter tyres, good friction on cold snow. Stay alert if weather changes from cold to zero C or just above zero. Surprisingly perhaps, but in very cold conditions roads are less slippery than at zero (slush and fresh snow at zero).

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,151 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best areas to stay outside of Tromso to see Northern Lights?

No the site itself has no reviews - the reviews are right here on TA ! and some on booking.com. I think you need to look at the speciality lodging reviews to find them on TA.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1955375-d66…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g190475-d185070…

There is also a house in this location

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190475-i2314-k609…

visittromso.no/en/…

6. Re: Best areas to stay outside of Tromso to see Northern Lights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 11, 2014