We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road closings and related questions

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
China
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Road closings and related questions

Hi

I haven't finalised any kind of itinary yet for a 6 days road trip, but we might be driving out of Tromso Towards the North or through the Swedish or Finnish border beginning of March. Are there some roads closings I should be aware of ? Also will the hotels/motels in small towns be open at that time ?

Also would you recommend just driving along the Fjords, either North or South ?

lastly I checked 2 rental companies and foudn no 4wheel drives, would you recommend anyone in Tromso ? I'd rather not go for older models.

Thanks in advance

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road closings and related questions

You don't need a 4wd!

Closing roads happen sometimes over the mountains during strong wind or snow storm, or just like here we staying on the top of Skibotn valley; 3 foreign trucks are closing the road, because of to bad tyres!!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,295 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road closings and related questions

I think most tourists find the fjords and islands more interesting than the interior.

China
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road closings and related questions

Thanks for your replies, I need to have a more serious look on this itinary.

Abt the 2 vs 4wd issue, I understand that the main roads get clean up quite often in Norway, but what abt the side roads ? it's very difficult/impossible to drive with a small car on thick snow.

As of the wind, it seems smaller cars are a little safer.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,295 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road closings and related questions

All municipal roads are cleared regularly. Only private side roads can cause a problem and you will hardly need those as a tourist. Rental cars will be fitted with studded tyres for better grip when icy.

China
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road closings and related questions

Checked teh Hurtigruten tonight, which I've been thinking of taking for years but the timetable doesn't look good, either North or South. Now I regret not having booked a couple of days more.

Opened a few links including the one below and now considering driving to Kirkenes, leaving Tromso on monday evening or tuesday morning and flying back from Kirkenes on Saturday evening (Sunday morning would have been more convenient but won't be able to catch my flight to longyearbyen.

Any comment on the itinary ? I noticed some poster (in the single and short thread I found on the topic) adviced to go skip the Inari area altogether but i wouldn't mind visiting the Siida museum again - i wouldn't mind staying in the norvegian side of the border either, never been in this area

…hanneketravels.net/2010/04/russia-trip-part…

Moreton-in-marsh...
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road closings and related questions

We used a hire car and found the standard fit winter tyres as good as using our 4x4 here in UK even in deep and fast falling snow on the way from Tromso to Skervoy.

China
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road closings and related questions

Thanks for your feedback, I finally booked a sedan - also I don't think we'll make it to kirkenes, probably stay closer to tromso

8. Re: Road closings and related questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 27, 2014