We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tromso with a Toddler - need advice!

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Tromso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stuttgart, Germany
7 posts
Save Topic
Tromso with a Toddler - need advice!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Tromso in March and would love (like everyone) to see the Northern Lights. We will be brining our 15 month old daughter along and I was wondering if you have any advice on the best way to see the lights with a young toddler. We were thinking about maybe renting a car and driving around looking for them so she can sleep in the back seat since I'm guessing we can't join a tour with her. Any recommendations you have would be really appreciated!

We're also thinking of driving from Tromso down to Lofoten Islands as well. Any advice on cheap places to stay or things to do with young kids would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tromso with a Toddler - need advice!

I do not think it would be a problem to join a tour with a small child as long as you have a pram or a buggy where she can sleep or at least be warm and comfortable. A car could be another good option and a more flexible one with a child in tow. Also, many tours will be fully booked by now - especially those with the more popular and well renowned guides doing smaller groups.

Tromsø to Lofoten is more or less a full day drive in wintery conditions. You will find accomodation options on the official web site - an apartment or a cabin would be a family friendly alternative.

Winter tourism in these parts is very low key - you will not find any activities specificly for children so I am afraid you will have to make your own entertainment. Fooling around in the snow can be fun too :)

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tromso with a Toddler - need advice!

If you do try and go I think your best option would be a car. If you go on a tour you will have to stay out as long as the tour this could be until 2am. Some of the tour travel long distances, what happens if your toddler get upset? The drivers don't always like leaving engines on as it uses up fuel and spoils the ambience with engine noise. It can be very very cold.

If you hire a car you will have more flexibility. Do remember it can be very very cold and you will need some very warm clothes for your toddler. If it were me I'd wait until she is older.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tromso with a Toddler - need advice!

In winter Norwegians use a sleeping bag lined with sheep skin when they take their little ones out in the winter cold.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tromso with a Toddler - need advice!

Hi,

Perhaps you can take heart from this Trip Report. Your daughter is a bit older than this poster's baby but looks like renting car is the best way forward. Have a read, especially the second half of the report:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…44496082

Best wishes.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tromso with a Toddler - need advice!

Most of the buses who are driving out for the NL chase have a Webasto installed, so the buses keep warm without engines on...

6. Re: Tromso with a Toddler - need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 02, 2014